#4. A Sisterly Affair

After sharing a peaceful yet delightful dinner with her sister, Ruhana cleans up the kitchen and moves into her room. She has to complete a presentation. She sneaks into her sister’s room where she finds that Ishika is diligently studying. She walks back into her room and begins to work on her presentation. Aadhya has sent some pointers, and within an hour, Ruhana completes her work and at the same time, Ishika enters the room with two cups of coffee, taking her by surprise.

“Are you done with your work?” Ruhana asks.

“Yes, Di

“Yes, Di. I am done with my assignment. You were working, so I made coffee. I know you like to drink something before sleeping.” Ishika beams at her.

“That’s so sweet, Ishu.” Ruhana takes the mug from her hand and makes her sit on the bed beside herself.

“And I am sorry, too

“And I am sorry, too. We will go for dinner tomorrow as it’s Saturday. I didn’t want to take any risk today.” She apologises, for, she denied her sister due to her health only.

“I understand, Di. So sorry, main hi zidd kar rahi thi.” Ishika says.

“Ek baar meeting achche se ho jaye, Ishu, phir hum kal aaram se dinner par jaa sakte hain. Mujhe mana karna achcha nahi lagta hai, lekin teri sehat ka dhyan bhi mujhe hi rakhna hai na.” She taps Ishika’s cheek.

“I know, Didu

“I know, Didu. I am not upset anymore. Now, have some coffee, and relax!” Ishika chuckles.

Ruhana can’t help but smile at her sister’s words. The two relish the coffee, when something strikes Ishika’s mind. She informs her sister about the annual festival of her school.

“Di, keep yourself free for the next weekend. You have to come to the annual fest on both days.”

“Of course, Ishu

“Of course, Ishu. Main toh aaungi hi. In fact, iss baar zyada kaam nahi hain, toh main aa sakti hoon.”

“Yay, that’ll be great. It’ll be fun for you too.” Ishika winks at her sister.

Ruhana smiles at her sister. For her, her sister's happiness is the only thing that she desires. Ishika is her only family and Ruhana can't afford to lose her. So, she makes sure to fulfil all the demands of  Ishika, while in turn, Ishika helps her sister with home chores and even cooks for her elder one when she comes back from the office. They are certainly happy in the small world that they have created. And Ruhana doesn’t want any third person to enter their small haven.

But, it seems like the good heavens have some other plans for her.

*****
The next day comes by early as expected. Since Ruhana has to check her presentation, she’s a little nervous, and Ishika knows it. Ruhana is roaming around the kitchen and hall when Ishika pulls her and makes her sit on the couch. She gets a glass of water for her sister and then sits beside her.

“Di, why are you so worried? Aapne iske pehle bhi toh kitni meetings attend ki hain na?” Ishika questions.

“Haan, Ishu

“Haan, Ishu. Lekin ye meeting bahut important hain. Iske liye sara pressure mere upar hain. Sab kuch bahut achche se hona chahiye. Iss baar toh boss ne bhi mujhe hi sab kuch present karne ke orders diye hain.” She’s anxious at the moment.

“You will do good, Di. Trust yourself and things will fall into the right places,” Ishika says.

“Calm down for now. Main aapke liye chai leke aati hoon.” Ishika says this and walks into the kitchen to brew some tea for her sister.

Ruhana watches her working in the kitchen and as she enters the kitchen, Ishika pushes her out and asks her to sit on the couch and relax.

“Di, aapko jo karna tha, aapne kar liya

“Di, aapko jo karna tha, aapne kar liya. Aap ready ho jao, main chai banati hun tab tak. I don’t want you to strain yourself.”Ishika voices her concern.

Ruhana smiles and moves to her room to get ready for the day. She quickly looks through her presentation and then gets ready. Meanwhile, Ishika calls for her and she’s surprised to see that her sister has served the breakfast too. They have their breakfast, after which Ruhana instructs Ishika to take care and leave for the office.

But today, something awaits her in the office, which she hasn’t anticipated in the last three to four years.

To Be Continued.

What is awaiting Ruhana at the office?

Stay tuned.