#3. The Soulful Company

Ruhana and Ishika share a moment where the former asks the latter to care for herself. Ruhana is quite emotional and protective of her sister. Right now, Ishika is sleeping with her head on Ruhana's outstretched arm and one hand around her waist. Ishika loves it this way and Ruhana loves it as well. She is always glad to have her sister close by. In childhood, Ishika used to say that she would not leave her side so she caged her in her arms.

Their present scenario is quite different from their past. They were a happy family and the girls were loved deeply by their dad. Their father loved them a lot, and all their wishes were fulfilled. Ruhana was happiest when Ishika was born. She got a partner to play with while their father earned a good business deal. That's the reason, Ishika is treated with true love and affection. Ruhana trails down memory lane.

*flashback begins*

The story is dated to the time when Ishika was five years old and Ruhana was ten years old. Their dad had to go to a conference and the girls were upset about the same, especially Ishika. She sat quietly on the couch as her father packed for the trip. Ruhana understood her sister's plight, but you, know, work comes first. Ruhana complained about the same. When her father asked about the same, Ishika glared at him, showing she was upset. Their father smiled, even he didn't want to leave his daughters at home. But he can't take them with him. He takes Ishika in his arms.

The father-daughter banter continued and later Ishika agreed and hugged her father. Since that day, Ruhana started putting Ishika to sleep, narrating her stories and doing everything their dad used to do. The girls were happy. But things changed when, three years ago, their parents left for a wedding and conference. Little did they know they were meeting their parents for the last time. Two days later, a piece of news came their way that their parents' car met with an accident and two people died on the spot. It left the two sisters broken. Ishika could not imbibe the loss. It was a hard time for Ruhana to bring Ishika out of the trauma. Post-accident, they came to Mumbai.

*Flashback ends*

Things are going smoothly now. Ruhana comes out of the trance as a teardrop escapes her eyes. She wipes it and kisses Ishika's head, promising her to take care of her and love her seamlessly. She looked at the watch, it showed 3:30 pm. Ruhana can't leave the bed so she also eases on the bed and sleeps along with Ishika.

An hour later, Ruhana woke up with a phone ring. She found Ishika still sleeping. Maybe, it's the effect of medicine given to her. She picked up the call and it was from her office. She took a half day and asked her friend to manage the work on her behalf. It was her boss, who asked her to prepare a presentation for a meeting.

Ruhana knows that it is an important meeting and her boss wants her to handle the same. But, today Ruhana is worried more about Ishika. She has a lot of work to do. She has to take Ishika to the doctor and at the same time, she has to work for office. But she can't backoff. Even her friends and colleagues trust her for the presentations and she has to work it out on her own. She agrees with the boss saying she'll try doing it or will do it in the office, before the meeting commences.

She disconnects the call and finds her sister awake. Ishika smiles at her.

"Di, I am fine. You do your office work." she says.

"We have to see a doctor, Ishu." Ruhana says.

"When you're by my side, nothing can happen to me, Di. Don't worry. I'll be fine." Ishika says with a smile.

Ruhana isn't satisfied. She wanted her little one to be fine. She looks at Ishika who cups her face.

"You know, it was because of the loud music.. I have problems, you know, Di. I am fine. Don't worry. I'll tell you if something happens." Ishika tries to convince her elder sister.

Ruhana smiles. She knows her sister is grown up. She kisses Ishika's head lovingly. Ishika smiles.

"I'll make coffee for us. You begin your work." Ishika says making her sit on the bed and moves out of the room.

Ruhana watches her go and smiles in contentment. She knows life will be good for both of them and she commences with her work.