[25] FALLING

Play with her hair, tell her you love her, be weird together, run in the streets, slow dance together, hold her hand, kiss in the rain

Play with her hair,
tell her you love her,
be weird together,
run in the streets,
slow dance together,
hold her hand,
kiss in the rain.

What distinguishes a human from a monster?

They say it is human to feel the light and the dark, to have a full range of emotions from good to evil. How are monsters any different? They are tainted by the wrath of evil and the love of the Devil.

It is pathetic, really. A monster bears his fangs for everyone to see, and a man veils his wickedness to lurk in the shadows. Monsters, it seems, are more human than any mortal.

So maybe Mother was more human than you had ever been, that you could ever be. She wore her evils with pride, and you disguised yours behind a facade of goodness.

The regret and guilt spiral down your psyche and feel heavy on your heart, but it slowly starts to ache a little less when you see Historia fearfully punching Levi straight to the side.

You stifle a laugh when Levi looks at her unamused.

"Did that hurt!?" She questions rather proudly, but her hands tremble with dread. "I'm Queen now, so too bad! If you have a problem—"

Levi's lips curl into the smallest of smiles, a sight so rare that you wonder if anyone else has seen it before. And it is the prettiest thing you've seen in a while, it extends from the crinkles of his eyes to the depths of his soul.

"Thanks," he utters from his beautiful lips. "I needed that."

His squad looks at him all beguiled, thunder-struck, as if met with some mythical deity. You choke out a laugh; his smile is so contagious and viral that it makes your stomach churn. How could it not?

God, you are so fooled by his beauty that sometimes you forget all your hate.

Levi turns to you and frowns, "Why do they all look like that?"

"They are just blinded by your smile," you say, stepping closer to him with a grin. Your hands crawl to fix his crinkled collar before they rest on his chest. "You are the loveliest, gentlest, most bewitching person here. And even that is an understatement."

"Tch, I'm not some shiny ornament," he grumbles, but you can tell he is flustered by the way the tip of his ears turns red and the way he does not stray away from your touch. "And I am far from any of that bullshit."

Armin joins in the banter this time. "Captain Levi, you're looking unusually relaxed today. Must be the company."

"Now, now, don't be like that, Captain," Historia remarks teasingly. "We all know you love receiving such flattery from the lieutenant."

Levi turns angrily on his heels, and a storm brims under his expression, "Why you insolent pieces of sh—"

Jean chimes in, his grin stretched from ear to ear, "I bet his heart goes 'Dub Dub' every time the lieutenant walks into the room."