Chapter 16: Autumn Alone/What Happened to Sasha

Start from the beginning

"Sasha Iridesci," Sheldon recalled. "You were interested in learning about her back at the hospital." Autumn nodded.

"I know it sounds insane-"

"It is the perfect hiding place," Sheldon said. "I'll set the GPS to lead us to Saltwater Springs. Autumn, you get some rest. You had an exhausting day yesterday." Autumn nodded and laid back down in the seat, falling back to sleep as the truck started and pulled away from Inkopolis Square.

"Well kids, we're almost there!" Autumn stirred at the sound of a male voice as she came to in the SUV. She didn't recognize any of her surroundings.

"A full week at the beach!" came a female voice from the front passenger seat. "All of that wonderful sunlight and ocean breezes!" Autumn couldn't see their faces, but she assumed these were her parents. The car drove down the interstate. Autumn could see Inkopolis City far away in the distance as they approached it.

"How far is Saltwater Springs from Inkopolis?" asked a voice next to Autumn. Autumn turned to face the passenger next to her, a girl slightly older than her. She was yellow, and had two different colored eyes, although the difference was hard to tell between them.

I have a sister, Autumn thought. Is she my sister?

"Cassandra, what are you going to do when we get there?" asked Autumn's mom. Autumn squinted at Cassandra, trying to recall if she had ever seen an Inkling like her before in Inkopolis. No one came to mind though.

"I'm going straight to the beach!" Cassandra said excitedly. She reached out and took Autumn's hand. "And I'll be taking my wonderful sister with me!" The SUV hit a bump in the road, and Autumn bounced in her seat.

The brakes on Sheldon's truck squealed to as the truck came to a sudden halt, and Autumn rolled off the seat onto the floor with a yell. Sheldon looked back at her as the Inkling got up with an annoyed look.

"Sheldon, get some seatbelts!" Autumn snapped, adjusting her hat.

"No way," Sheldon replied, shaking his head. "They're too expensive and no one travels with me enough for me to invest in some." Autumn gave an unamused snort through her nostrils and looked outside. The sun was up, and Autumn could tell that this was not Inkopolis.

"Why did we stop?" she asked.

"Looks like a traffic jam," Sheldon replied, craning his neck. He looked at Autumn. "You may as well get out and start walking. Unless you want to be stuck here for a while otherwise." Autumn stood up and brushed herself off. Sheldon pointed at her weapon case.

"Take your Dualies with you," he insisted. Autumn nodded as she opened the case and pulled out her Splat Dualies, applying an ink magnet to each one and sticking them to her waist. "You never know who's out there."

The bus pulled up to the station, and four cephalopods - two Inklings and two Octolings - climbed aboard. One of the Octolings tripped on the steps, falling on his face.

"Ezra, get it together," Eddison snapped, glaring down at him. Ezra the blind Octoling lifted himself up.

"Sheesh, you act like I'm incapable of taking care of myself one day, and the next you act like I can see," grumbled the orange Octoling. Eddison rolled his eyes and turned to the two Inklings in front of him, who nervously handed the jellyfish bus driver the quartet's bus tickets.

"Move," the indigo Octoling quietly but threateningly whispered in I-Wei and Priscilla's ears. The two Inklings quickly shuffled to a pair of seats, doing their best to hide their handcuffed wrists. Eddison took a seat by the window, and Ezra sat next to him, blankly staring ahead. Eddison turned back to his two prisoners-slash-unwilling accomplices sitting quietly behind him.