Chapter 7: The Last Uchiha

Start from the beginning

They had no idea why the Kyūbi's chakra leaked out. They had no idea what set off Uzumaki Naruto into a fit of unprecedented rage. Hiruzen doubted the child would even tell him; they barely had a functioning relationship. He saw Uzumaki-kun once a month to give him his monthly allowance and every visit was short and saturated with heavy silence. The child barely spoke any words to him, choosing to observe him with a silent and watchful gaze.

What a mess.

There was also the suicide of Uchiha Shisui a few months back. There was no body retrieved from the Naka River but Uchiha Itachi's solid testament and the note left behind by Shisui was enough to warrant a funeral for Shunshin no Shisui.

Shimura Danzo was even more adamant on suppressing the Uchiha Clan for good. He had to do something. He had to protect his village. He couldn't afford to let them grow weak through civil unrest. If he allowed them to fight amongst themselves, the other villages would take advantage of their internal strife and attack.

The Hokage stood up wearily. There was lots to do and he didn't have the time to watch the child sleep. He turned to the ANBU operatives, leaving them with direct orders to inform him immediately when Uzumaki-kun woke up.

The Hokage made his way through the distraught village, taking long inhales from his pipe to center himself as he solidified his mind on the best course of action. He entered his office in the Hokage Tower and pressed two fingers with his chakra signature to his sealed drawer, opening it and taking out a sealed mission scroll. He unsealed the scroll and read it over solemnly. He took a seat, picking up his pen and signed his name on the scroll with a heavy heart.

The Sandaime rolled up the scroll and waved his hand, summoning the ANBU operative guarding his office.

"Summon the ANBU Weasel."

Uchiha Itachi stood alone with his thoughts as he gazed around at the thick foliage of the woods by the Uchiha compound. His dark gaze was solemn and exhausted as he lowered the dual swords gently into the black box. He traced the intricate red patterns with a light touch. The gift Shisui had given the Uzumaki child was not an ordinary gift. To offer katana blades that were forged for the person specifically was a rite of passage in the Uchiha clan. Parents gave their children swords when they accepted their growth and development proudly. It was an act that signified kinship and love. It was a sign of affection and great pride.

Itachi clasped his own sword tightly, gazing down at the long black katana wistfully, recalling the day his father handed it to him, his dark eyes brimming with pride and affection for his heir. Uzumaki Naruto would not know the significance of Shisui's final gift and he would never know the truth. The truth that Uchiha Shisui cared for him like his own kin, that he gave him swords that he would have given to his future children but instead he chose to grant them to the orphaned child.

Itachi tore his gaze from the dual swords and closed the box gently, lowering it down on the ground. He stepped forward and fused his hands with chakra and lifted up the boulder tiredly, eyeing the dug out spot for the swords with dark eyes. He knelt down and rested the box in its hiding spot gently, resting the heavy boulder back on top. He pulled back and gazed around the silent woods with a forlorn gaze. A final goodbye resonated through his chest as he leapt up to the trees. He took a deep breath and slipped away from the woods that his cousin and best friend had loved so dearly.