17.

Shivaay's letter.

Annika opened the letter with shaky hands.

Annika,

She cried.

I am sorry. Please forgive me if you could. There had been many instances when I felt helpless, my parents death, bade papa and badi maa's death, or when I faced the taunts. But I had never felt so helpless the moment I saw you lying on the ground.

I had lost all senses. The fight was ensued because of me. You shouldn't have paid for it. I had promised myself that no matter what I'd make sure you don't get harmed in any way. Especially because of me. But exactly that happened. I broke my promise.

She shook her head. "No you didn't." She sniffled. "You broke mine." She whispered. "I will not forgive you for this. Just wait till I get my hands on you. I will make you pay."

You know, when you came to talk to me the first day I was wondering what it could be? Initially I expected a nasty comment to it. I apologise for that now, but could you imagine my surprise when you extended your hand of friendship to me? I had expected it to be some kind of a prank. But I was not prepared it to be your friendship offer. You don't know how conflicted I felt.

The sudden elation and intense worry, that is exactly what I felt when you extended your hand. I have never been happier. I was excited that finally I had someone to call a friend. Thank you, Annika.

But then again I was worried that I would somehow hurt you or become the reason for it. But you never deterred. You somehow were adamant that I can do nothing wrong when I myself wasn't. You ignited the flame of hope again when I had extinguished it. Would you believe if I tell you that I got the courage to talk to you because of you?

Annika couldn't keep the tears at bay. Why was he talking like this.

You helped me in so many aspects but I never got the chance to properly thank you.  For pulling me out of darkness and showing me that even someone like me can get a friend like you. I don't deserve you, Ani.

"Ani....." She breathed. "He gave me a nickname." Why don't you trust yourself Shivaay. Why do you discard your feelings away like this?

Sorry, i gave you that nickname in my head.

She cried at the nickname. "It's not fair, Shivaay. You never called me that. I would have loved it." She was forlorn.

The bracelet that you gave me. I still have it. And still wear it. Though it has tightened a bit now. That was the moment you called me your bestfriend. I didn't know how to react. How to respond.

I knew the friendship day was approaching and I wanted to do something for you. Then I remembered the acrylic set you had put down, i bought that as a gift. But didn't have courage to give you. But then you tied that bracelet. That was the most precious gift I have ever got.

Well, I better get to the topic. The reason....

It was crossed out.

Annika, I am sorry that I never contacted you all this time. It was not by end fair to your side but how could I face you when I broke my promise to you. I broke your trust. The moment you said that you trust me enough to not let anything reach to you. I had vowed to myself that I would make it happen but then again. When I wasn't strong enough to protect myself.....such a hypocrite I am, aren't I?