THE LOST SIX MONTHS

Start from the beginning

Grabbing a bowl of porridge, Airi joined Yusuke and Kuwabara, and poured herself a steaming cup of green tea from the pot in the center of the table.

"Morning, Airi!" Kuwabara yelled.

From where she sat across the room, Genkai hissed at him.

"Good morning," she said, chuckling. "Yusuke, how are you?"

She could feel his energy this morning. Drained, exhausted, and frustrated.

"Been better. That old hag is freaking crazy."

In an instant, the bite-sized psychic was at his side, pulling him by his ear.

"Come, Yusuke. Time for that old hag to kick your ass again."

Kuwabara snorted, tea spraying out of his nostrils. Airi smiled; sometimes the small age difference between them felt like decades. Despite the fortitude of their spirit powers, they were still boys at heart.

"Looks like it's just you and me then," Airi said, once he'd wiped his face.

"Ah, sorry Airi, Genkai told me to practice my with sword today."

"Well, good luck. See you at dinner then."

Unbothered, she finished her tea and cleaned up their plates. A day in the forest would suit her just fine.

*******************************************************************************************

Sitting on a rooftop overlooking the city, Hiei removed the fabric he kept tied around his forehead, revealing his Jagan Eye. It was hopeless, trying to sense his sister's whereabouts, for he had tried countless times without success. He focused on the memory of her, her physical form as well as her spirit. She was nowhere to be found.

Sometimes, he came to terms with the fact that in all likelihood, she was dead. This was a truth he could not accept for long. His reason for living these past few years had been nothing other than to see her safely back to her home.

"Hello, Hiei."

Kurama. The final screw to come loose in their well hatched plan. It was his fault that Hiei had lost possession of the Shadow Sword and was therefore unable to create the legion he needed to find his sister. He took in the sight of his former companion, long hair blowing in the mighty gusts of wind that swept around the rooftop. There was something different about him. He seemed... at peace.

"What do you want," he said flatly, retying the cloth over his third eye.

"I know you are not happy to see me. I come bearing an offer."

"What could you possibly offer that would be of any interest?"

Kurama took a seat next to him, gazing out over the city. It was dyed a dusty pink from the sunset, and any other person might have found it beautiful. After a long while, he spoke.

"Koenma has extended an opportunity to erase our crimes against the Spirit World."

Unexpected. Koenma promised to hunt us to the ends of all three worlds.

"And what does he require of us in exchange for this pardon?"

He felt Kurama's eyes on him, weighing him. He fears my reaction.

"He's asked that we assist his Spirit Detective. Our power would be... useful."

Anger flashed within him. Yusuke Urameshi. The brittle human who bested him in battle.