Chapter 3

Roman and I sat on the couch watching TV, he's painting my toenails black while I was sharpening my already black nails. "Hey you don't rush art, use light strokes," I took the polish from him showing him how to lightly put it on. He stares as if he's interested. "You didn't do so bad though,"  I compliment him by putting my toes in his face.

"Mara gross," he laughed, pushing my toes away from him.

"What did you wanna talk about anyway?" I ask curiously, setting my feet on the coffee table.

Roman lets out a nervous laugh tapping his fingers on his leg. It was annoying me but I knew it was his way of coping with his issues. "I used to envy Sidney. I wanted everything she had, her family, her friends.. you. Then she became an orphan like me and I'm trying to build a relationship with her but she doesn't trust me or tries and I don't know why."

"Well she was attacked a few times, she just has trust issues, and finding out about you came as a big shock to her. Plus she was in complete denial about her mom being a whore," I cringe right after I say those words.

"I'm sorry I meant adulterer," I try to throw in quickly, he shakes his head laughing at me.

"It's fine.."

"Sidney will come around you big baby in the meantime you have me, Derek and Randy have been pretty nice and"

"Don't you say, Stu.." he says, cutting me off. "The guy hates me I always catch him glaring at me,"

"Stu does not hate you,"

A knock on the door makes me groan, I gesture for Roman to open the door while I blow on my toenails. "Mara," he calls out, opening the door wider. My smile falls when Stu walks in looking angry. Roman looks between the both of us before scratching the back of his neck.

"Why the hell is he here?" he angrily asks, looking at me as he shoulders him hard as he walks in, Roman groans rubbing his shoulder.

"We were talking which you interrupted," I pointed out, annoyed as I got up from the couch. We just stare at each other neither moving or saying anything. I don't have to explain myself to him. It wasn't until Roman cleared his throat that I was able to take a breath and blink.

"I'm gonna go and let you guys work out whatever this is," Roman announces, grabbing his jacket. He comes over placing a light kiss on my cheek, Stu clenches his fists looking away from us, it wasn't until the front door closed that he finally turned his attention back to me.

"I didn't attack you,"

"Okay, that's good to know. You can go now," I nod pointing at the door. He shakes his head taking a seat on the couch and stretching himself out as if to get comfortable.

"I'm not going anywhere, I want to talk about this. No more running from me"

"Can you blame me?!" I snapped.

"I was attacked by the people I loved most. You've murdered people like it's normal and above all you put my father in prison for a crime you knew he didn't commit a crime you set him up for," I yell.

He shoots up getting in my face. "To be fair I didn't know he was your father neither of us did...he was collateral damage,"

"You're serious?"

"Want me to lie? Yes Amara I put your father in prison, yes I've killed a lot of people and no I don't regret it," 

"Your unbelievable, I can't do this with you"

He grabs my arm before I can walk away from him, "If you're never gonna talk to me again, you should know how I feel about you," my heart starts to race as his hand crawls against the back of my neck holding me still to look up at him. His eyes held me in a captivating stare.