Chapter 3 | I Want to Get to Know You

"Stop freaking out Kara." Alex groaned, resting her head in her hands as her sister paced back and forth in her apartment.

"Right, he's probably just busy, I mean someone as smart as him probably has a lot on his plate."

"Look, he'll message you back, you just have to be patient and calm down." Her sister tried her best to comfort her. Kara stopped pacing and slumped down onto the couch.

"I've been on a lot of dates in the past few months Alex, and I was seriously starting to give up hope, but I don't know, he seems really nice, he's smart and cute." Kara sighed gently.

Alex wrapped her arms around her younger sister and pulled her into a hug. Kara closed her eyes and embraced her sister's hug. 

Kara had worked up the courage to send him a message, it wasn't anything big.

"Hello:)"

For two days her notifications remained silent, the only thing keeping her distracted was her sister and her work from the potential that he had ghosted her.

Her phone was resting in her lap, and she felt a soft but distinct buzz. Her eyes instantly shot open, and it was a message from an unknown number.

"Hey! Sorry I didn't respond my boss has been on my ass for the past few days and I've been so focused on my work."

Her mood instantly shifted as she held her phone in front of her face.

"I'm free for the next few days if would like to grab a cup of coffee:)"

Her heart jumped from her chest as she quickly scrambled to open her phone and respond.

"I'd really like that, how about Jitters tomorrow at 12?"

She waited a few moments before he responded.

"Sounds perfect, see you there💙"

A blue heart, her favourite colour.

"See I told you he was just busy, and you need to be more patient sometimes." Alex said, whatever she as saying was not getting into her sister's head.

"This is the first time I've felt like this, so cut me some slack." She responded.

"Anyway, I'm happy for you."

She held her phone close to her chest and smiled.

Tomorrow couldn't come any faster.

|||

The sun rose and normally it would take a team of athletes to pull him out of his bed, but today he was up and out before his alarm went off. 

Joe is always picking up Barry's slack and went to barge into his room and wake him up only to see Barry already awake and in the kitchen.

"Barr?"

"Morning Joe." Barry said with a wide smile.

"You're awake...on time." Joe said in disbelief, "Oh dear god I must still be dreaming."

Barry gave him a confused look and handed him a plate with toast on it, "What's wrong?"

Joe noticed that Barry was in extra chipper mood this morning, "Nothing son." He laughed.

Barry was normally a zombie in the morning, not speaking and trying not to fall asleep so this was a first for Joe.