13. This is where it starts

"What was that?" Albi asked as the atmosphere briefly turned red.

"That's one of the danger alerts! We need to hurry!" Oliver said, jumping off Albi's shoulders. "This way, I know there's a hole that leads near the entrance through the sewer system."

"All right," Ema replied.

Oliver and the others started running towards the wall.

They arrived at the wall.

"Hm?" Ema said, looking at Oliver.

"Here, follow me," Oliver said, heading under the sewer system.

The sewer system consists of a central path where the water flows, with pathways on both the left and right sides for people to walk. It serves as another emergency entrance or exit, but they're guarded. Oliver shows the group a broken part of the wall.

"How do you know about this?" Albi asked as they went through.

"Well," Oliver snuffled his nose. "I sometimes like to sneak out, but children aren't allowed to be alone outside the capital because of all the different kinds of monsters out there."

"I see," Ema said, giving him a head pat. "It's very dangerous to do that. Maybe you should stop."

"I guess you're right, here's the exit." Oliver, distracted by the chatter, suddenly remembered his father. "Oh no, we need to hurry to the entrance!"

"Right!" said Albi and Ema simultaneously.

They began running toward the entrance, though since they were inside the city now, it was technically the exit. Ema and Albi gazed at the city as they approached. As they neared, Oliver spotted his father being treated by the guards.

"Father!"

"Oliver! I was worried! How did you manage to escape?"

Oliver didn't answer his father, instantly going in for a hug instead. Roland sensed his son's worry and shock at seeing his own father almost eaten alive, so he comforted him. "It's okay, we're safe now."

"I see that you are safe, your son was very worried about you," Ema said with a smile, glancing between them.

"And who are you two?" Roland inquired.

"We couldn't just leave you guys there. My name is Albi." Albi extended his hand for a handshake.

Roland shook his hand.

"And I'm Ema," Ema followed suit, offering her hand as well.

"I'm truly grateful that you youngsters were there to help my son. You have my utmost gratitude. I don't know how to properly thank you two."

"Oh, no, no, we don't want anything. We did what we thought was right," Ema replied with a big smile.

"All right, you should be okay, but you lost a lot of blood on the way here. You should rest for a few days, old man," said one of the guards from earlier.

"Wait, why couldn't you guys fully heal his legs?" Ema asked.

"Well, it's because of the monster's saliva. It stops all healing abilities from being able to fully heal someone," Oliver answered.

"I see," Ema responded.

"All right, I'm gonna need a full report, lady, and you two, gentlemen."

"I'd rather stay with the kid and the dad. She can fill you in on what happened in the forest," Albi responded while going behind Oliver.

"Sounds good to me. Let's go somewhere more private."

They went behind one of the houses so no one could hear them.

"All right, so what happened in the forest, and I want the truth. I know that two kids didn't kill such a beast."

Ema smiled.

"Wait... you're the girl from earlier..." the guard was confused. "How did you... manage to get in...?"

The guard froze in shock, his eyes wide with realization. He knew it was too late, that his fate had been sealed the moment those words escaped his lips. Ema's expression turned cold her sheer aura striking fear directly into the guard's soul. The guard's body fell to its knees, unable to move, as if time itself had come to a standstill. Before he knew it, his head was rolling on the ground and his lifeless body fell to the ground making a splash sound.

"Ew," a bit of the guard's blood had splashed on Ema's face, but it slowly started to disappear.

In this world, every living being disintegrates, leaving no trace behind.

Ema walked back to where the others were.

"You're back!" Oliver exclaimed with excitement. "Where did the guard go?"

"He mentioned having to report to one of his supervisors. I'm not sure exactly what he meant," Ema replied.

"I see, I should treat you both to dinner. And with the alarm going off, it's safest to stay inside. You're both welcome to join me at my home."

"Thats so kind of you, sir," Albi said, approaching Roland and offering assistance to help him get on a wheelchair the guards had given him.

"Alb, a word please?" Ema requested.

"Yeah, sure give me a moment."

"You guys can start heading home. We'll catch up with you shortly," Ema said to Roland.

"Very well then, Oliver, let's go," Roland said, and they began to walk away.

"Okay, Father. See you guys later!" Oliver waved as they departed.

Ema looked at Albi. "The others should be here too."

"Well, yeah," Albi responded.

"Right now, I can only sense Lukas and Nagget. They're close." said Ema

"Great, we should meet up with them!"