22. The only one

The doctor examines my neck while Sam, sitting next to me, listens to my voice messages recorded earlier. I answer their questions and Sam insists on how crazy and unconscious I am, but I know that somehow he's a little proud of me. When they finally release me, I just want to lie down on my bed or in Bucky's arms.

My plans are disrupted when I run into Sharon in an empty hallway.

"Congratulations are in order." She smirks. "Who would have thought this little thing could actually bite?"

I could thank her if her compliment sounded even a little genuine. Instead, I keep myself from rolling my eyes.

"What do you want, Sharon?"

"Me? Nothing. Remember, I'm always here to help."

"Too bad I don't need your help."

"But your friends do. Sam and Bucky are always happy to have me by their side."

"How lucky they are." I reply, trying to figure out her purpose. "Maybe we need to clarify a few things. First, Bucky is not my friend. Second, I don't know what problem you have with me, but I assure you I'm no threat to you."

"I know, he actually told me about this little affair between the two of you. No third point?"

"Then why are you hovering around him?"

I bite the inside of my cheek. I hate acting like a poor girl trying to defend her territory. She got to me and she knows it.

"Looks like someone's jealous. Listen, dear. I was there before you and I'll probably be there after you. You better stay out of my way. Believe me, you don't want to find yourself there."

Well, here's something else. One thing's for sure, I don't intend to let her intimidate me.

"I don't know what you're looking for, but you know what? This whole friendly, kind, helpful facade you put on is bullshit. And one day, people will realize it." I take a step closer to her. "You don't scare me. I don't give a damn about your threats. You think you can fool the people I care about, but it won't last. One day they'll see the real you."

"You wish. But it won't happen, because I'm nothing but the helpful friend who rushes to their rescue when they get their asses in trouble." She breaks into a malicious smile. "See you around, little thing. Be careful."

I watch her walk away, with a strong desire to show her what kind of little thing I am. She may know how to get on my nerves, but she's far from scaring me.

When night comes, I wait for my roommate to fall asleep before sneaking off to Bucky's room. I've changed my dress to a more comfortable shirt and shorts. Once again, I find myself wandering stealthily through the compound.

"You just can't get enough of me, can you?" Bucky teases me as he opens his door.

"Admit you missed me." I reply, pushing him inside.

He leans towards me and his lips meet mine in a kiss that steals my breath. With his fingers on the back of my neck and his metal hand on my hip, he deepens the kiss to the point where I'm the one ready to confess that I've missed him, and probably all my sins too.

When he pulls away, I spot something shining in his eyes along with the pleased smile on his face. He runs his tongue over his lips, while I can't help but bite mine.

"Well, considering your ability to get into trouble, I'd better keep an eye on you at all times. For my sake."

"I won't complain about it." I smirk. "Actually, there's no better way to convince you to stay close to me."

"Don't you dare. You don't need that to convince me, sweetheart." He whispers in my ear before kissing my neck. "Now, bedtime!"

Effortlessly, he lifts me like a sack of potatoes to toss me on the bed. I wince slightly when my ribs meet his shoulder. As I fall, my shirt lifts a little, exposing a large bruise.

"My God, what the hell is that?" Bucky gasps, staring at my ribs.

"A battle scar?" I suggest, which doesn't make him laugh. "It's no big deal. You must have taken a few hits today, too."

"But I'm trained for that."

My eyes light up and he notices it.

"What if-"

"I'll stop you right there, that's a no."

"But-"

"No, I'm not going to teach you how to fight. I know you've already asked Sam, and my answer is exactly the same."

"Then just a few self-defense techniques, just in case. So you can relax the next time I get into trouble. Not that there will be a next time." I quickly add when I see his expression.

"We'll talk about it another time." He sighs.

"Yes! You're the best."

"I should rather teach you to avoid putting your life in danger. Promise me you'll never do anything like that again."

"You know I can't. If I had to do it again, I would."

He sighs again but doesn't retort. Because he understands my fear of losing him. And because he would do the same for me.

He pulls my shirt down and wraps his arms around me as delicately as if I was made of glass. He then pulls the sheet over us, and I comfortably cuddle up to him without any desire to move. I could fall asleep right now, but something is still bothering my mind.

"Hey, Bucky."

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Do you think Sharon has a crush on you?"

"You really want to talk about Sharon now?"

"It's just... Something feels wrong about her. I know she doesn't like me, but I don't know why. So I thought, maybe she's just interested in you."

"I don't think so. Actually, she was into Steve several years ago, I'm probably not even her type. I assume we're sort of co-workers and friends." He pauses. "But I admit she was a bit strange today, so I told her about us. I know we agreed not to tell anyone, but..."

"You did right."

I'm not even that surprised. I'm glad Bucky noticed her behavior too, and maybe a little relieved that it seems to have annoyed him.

His lips on my forehead snap me out of my thoughts.

"Don't worry, sweetheart, you're the only one in my mind."

I smile and kiss him back. It's probably because of all the trust I have in Bucky that I'm not afraid of Sharon.

But if she's not interested in him, what does she want from me? What does she want from him?