14. Homecoming

It's finally during a dinner in Sarah's garden that the two pals return, still in their suits. Aj and Cass abandon their vegetables to run into their uncle's arms, and their mother steps forward to embrace her brother.

I can't stop my smile from widening when my eyes land on Bucky. I suddenly feel overwhelmed by joy and relief as I watch him walk on the grass. When he smiles at me too, I stop hesitating to go and hug him.

"See, I came back." He whispers, wrapping his arms around me.

I hold him as if I never want to let go, but I'm quickly afraid of being too clingy. I pull away from him, keeping my hands on his arms. Looking at his face, I notice his tired eyes. My heart then skips a beat when I spot dried blood on his temple.

"Wait, are you hurt?" I step back and glance at his body.

"No, I'm not."

"Not anymore, at least." A voice says behind him.

I look at Sam and stare in awe at the scars and bruises on his face. "Damn it, Sam! Are you okay?"

"Well, I don't heal as fast as he does, but I'm good." He answers with the same tired smile as Bucky. "Just need a drink and a good night's sleep."

Sarah shares my look of concern. We stare at our two friends, wondering which fight they've just come back from.

"I promise you it's all right." Sam puts a hand on his sister's shoulder with a reassuring look. He then smiles at his nephews. "It's good to be home."

"I'll get some beers to refresh you." I say, looking for an occupation to avoid showing my emotions.

"I'll go with you." Bucky follows me.

My head in the fridge, I hand him the bottles. When I close the door and turn back to him, I catch him staring at me. His intense ice-blue eyes are as unsettling as ever.

"How did the last few days go?" He finally asks.

"Well, it was..."

I can't find the words to tell him how much I've worried about him and how he's never left my thoughts. Should I even tell him?

"I missed you." I confess, looking at the bottles. "What about you? How was the mission?"

"I couldn't stop thinking about you."

I look up at him, speechless. My heart quickens as his words echo in my head. Even if I'm not exactly sure what they mean to him, they touch me deeply.

"Me too." I let out in a breath.

The corners of his lips lift slightly. "We should get them those beers before Sam starts complaining."

I nod before my growing enthusiasm turns to concern. "But, Bucky. Are you-"

His gaze becomes soft and reassuring as he seems to notice the worry in my eyes. "We're fine, really. It's just a few scratches, nothing serious. Taking blows is part of the job."

Back in the garden, we find Sam joking with his family. The atmosphere is now more relaxed than earlier. They probably want to think about anything but their fights tonight.

As we talk, I can't help glancing furtively in Bucky's direction. I catch his gaze, which is already on me. This brief eye contact is enough to set my cheeks on fire.

"Aj, Cass, I think it's time for bed." Sarah declares as the youngest is already dozing on Sam's lap. "I've been kind, but you have school tomorrow."

"Already? Please, Mom, I'm not tired." Cass protests.