Chapter 2.2: Kitten on a Catwalk

Whoa... This hall is definitely the greatest one I've ever seen.

After classes ended, Sudo and I went to the gymnasium to see the club fair. We weren't the first to arrive, but we weren't the last either. Nearly all the students here are first years.

I didn't come for the clubs themselves, of course.

This school is definitely hiding something from the students. And I'm pretty sure it's something very interesting.

"More people here than I thought!" Sudo said admiringly. His voice was barely audible among the crowd.

I silently gave a nod in response.

The amount of students gathered here is overwhelming. It's greatly distracting and alarming me.

"How many basketball players are here? Does they have a basketball club here at all?" Sudo muttered thoughtfully under his breath.

It seemed like it was just a thought out loud, and there was no meaningful reason to respond to it.

However, my thirst for skill development prompted me to ask a meaningless question in return.

"...Do you like basketball?"

"Yeah! I've been playing basketball since elementary school. Thought I'd continue it here too." Seems like my words were taken well.

"So, um... Do you like it? Enjoy it?" Keeping my voice as calm as possible, I uttered another question.

"Yeah. It's kind of calming, or somethin' like that." He said with a little thoughtfulness.

Turns out, even though basketball is an active sport, it can calm people down...? Perhaps he meant that an active game distracts from unnecessary thoughts and helps to release emotions?

Ah, crap...

Thinking about it, I didn't realize our conversation had been quietly interrupted.

How could it be resumed...?

My gaze quickly darted across the people and surrounding walls.

Should I ask him how well he plays? Or ask what else he's interested in...?

Monotonous thoughts swirled around in my head, keeping me on my toes.

"Hey." I felt someone's finger poke my shoulder, making me flinch.

Act normal, just act normal...

I looked at Sudo questioningly. A slightly... concerned, I think, expression hung on his face.

"Are you alright? You look a bit jumpy." He asked quietly.

"I'm fine, I guess..."

"...Well, okay. If anything, tell me." Sudo said with his hand on my shoulder.

"Ahem..." Abruptly, the speech began. "Thank you for waiting, newbies! My name is Tachibana. I'm the secretary of the Student Council and in charge of today's club fair. Representatives from each club will tell you in detail what exactly they do and what you need to do to join. Nice to meet you!"

After a friendly and polite greeting from the secretary, club representatives lined up to the gymnasium podium. Each of them was wearing a different standout attribute. You could say that each of them epitomized the club they belonged to with their appearance.

Slowly, one by one, each of them began to introduce their club, their features and so on. Some of them introduced alone, some as a whole team, but everyone eventually finished their introductions.