Chapter 12

Midoriya had completely forgotten about meeting up with Mao.

Buzzing with excitement, he had gotten onto the metro train that was to take him back home, only for his heart to drop as he realized he had missed his station to get where he promised to go at least fifteen minutes ago.

He immediately whipped out his phone, shooting Mao a text that he was going to be late and that he got held up at an after-school meeting with the principal. Mao didn't respond, and he simply hopped off the train and waited for the one that would take him to the gym.

Thirty minutes later than he had wanted, he arrived at the gym. He quickly sent a text to Mitsuki that he had to meet up with the principal and was going to stay after school to get some preparation work done, as well as that he would tell the details later, before pocketing his phone and hurrying towards the gym.

He tried the door, but it was locked. He knocked rapidly, but Mao didn't respond, and he attempted to peek through the window but the blinds were closed. He frowned, wondering if Mao had actually thought he wouldn't come, but it was a valid evaluation considering he was so late.

He felt a pang of guilt in his chest as he threw his bag next to the door before sitting next to it, leaning against the wall as he tried to call Mao.

"Izuku."

Midoriya flinched and shot his head towards the voice, surprised to see Nagatomo standing there with a smile on her face.

"Hey Nagatomo. You startled me, sorry." Midoriya quickly stood up, patting himself off.

"Apologies for that." Nagatomo chuckled as Midoriya threw his bag over his shoulder, almost dropping it in the process. "You are waiting for Mao, I suppose?"

"Yeah. I'm really late, though, so I think she might've left..."

"She was not here." Midoriya quirked an eyebrow, surprised.

"Really? She didn't come here?" Nagatomo shook her head. "And you, uh...I'm sorry, but what are you doing here? Not that you're not allowed to be here, I'm just curious!"

"I actually was hoping to cross paths with you." Nagatomo shifted something on her shoulder, and Midoriya realized that it was also a duffel bag. "There is something that I have wanted to see."

"Of course! What did...I mean, can I help in any way?"

"Yes, this is primarily concerning you, actually."

"Oh...really?"

"Yes. You have nothing to worry about." Nagatomo walked towards him, urging him to step aside as she unlocked the door to the gym. "Please, come on in. I will explain everything once we are inside."

Midoriya came in and Nagatomo shut the door behind them, placing her bag on the floor as she led him to the center of the gym before sitting down. Midoriya sat across from her hesitantly, unsure what this was leading to.

"I understand this may be sudden, but I was wondering if you could show me what Mao taught you?" Midoriya blinked in surprise.

"As in, the training?"

"Yes."

"Uh...I mean, I guess I could, but it's primarily based on fighting with an opponent, so it will look kind of weird when I'm doing it alone."

"I see. I suppose it is a good thing that I have brought along my own change of clothes for this situation." Nagatomo motioned towards her duffel bag, and Midoriya felt somewhat uneasy.

"Wait, you want me to fight you? Nagatomo, I..."

"I understand that you are concerned, but Mao must have learnt at least some of her combat from somewhere, you must understand." Midoriya's eyes widened at the implication, and he was about to ask Nagatomo about it but she continued. "Hence, I want to see what exactly Mao is up to, training her own trainee. It was a bit of a risk to have her as your mentor, but considering I was busy at the time, and perhaps I have somewhat higher standards, I thought it was best that you train with her, at least for the starting point."