Chapter 5

Midoriya was speechless.

They spent a solid three hours sitting there together in that cafe. After her promise, Nagatomo had asked him countless questions, learnt more about Midoriya than anyone has ever known.

He told her everything.

He told her about his mother. He told her about his notebooks. He told her about his passions towards heroes, he told her about his growing obsession over vigilantes. He told her what he was doing out that night when they met again, he told her how he lied to his foster parents. Yes, he told her about his parents, who weren't actually his parents, and about Bakugo.

She listened to him. She didn't interrupt, and when she did speak up, it was to clarify or to engage him further into the conversation.

Midoriya has never talked this much. His throat was sore, and he had never felt this...relieved.

After he told her about his obsessions with heroes and vigilantes, considering how much danger it had put him in, he definitely didn't expect the proposal she offered.

"Have you considered becoming a vigilante yourself? If you have so little faith in becoming a hero, and being accepted as one, then a vigilante is just the right path to go, do you not agree?"

Midoriya had always wanted to become a hero.

However, he always knew just how naive he was for even considering it.

Of course, he had searched up the definition of hero before, and he knew that the word 'quirk' wasn't explicitly written there, but it heavily implied quirk usage in the job description. A hero without a quirk wasn't a hero, it was at most a cop, or a firefighter, or some other, smaller job.

One could not become a professional hero without having a quirk worthy of the job title.

And Izuku Midoriya didn't have a quirk at all.

Being a vigilante, though? What did that imply in the job description? It meant saving people, even without a license. Despite not having a license. Midoriya didn't have the license, but what did the license really consist of? It was basically permission for a hero to use their quirk in public, was it not?

Midoriya didn't have a quirk he needed permission to use.

Therefore, he was left with the option of operating without a license, which was...well, what a vigilante was. It was perfect.

Of course, there was also the second, major issue at hand. He didn't know how to fight, and he was very scrawny. He wasn't one to work out, and he wasn't naturally on the stronger or bulkier side. He had to train, and he didn't know how to do so, or how to even start. He didn't know if he could keep himself consistent, train the way he should.

That's where Nagatomo, once again, came in and became his savior.

"My daughter is a self-defense trainer." Nagatomo announced proudly. "It's not quite what you need, but it's a start for sure. Maybe she will even have a few tricks up her sleeve that you could implement in fights!"

In order to get the training from Nagatomo's daughter (which, holy hell, Nagatomo had a daughter? The woman looked so young!), he had to contact her first, which was a whole other issue for him as someone who's never had to call anyone other than Mitsuki on the phone. It was tough enough to contact Nagatomo, but contacting someone he didn't know at all? Oh how he dreaded it, but he knew that it would be a leap forward towards his dream and he had to take it.

Midoriya took a deep breath, staring at the contact. The girl carried a very heavy resemblance towards her mother, although she had longer hair and a more stern look. That...didn't really help Midoriya. She looked as if she wanted to stab him, and that was the vibe he was getting from her profile picture, which should have been her at her best.