chapter forty nine.

Start from the beginning

"That's right," the man said, slowly shifting on the bed so he sat on the edge facing Sam. "You know who I am."

"Lucifer," Sam breathed out.

"You are a hard one to find, Sam. Harder than most humans," Lucifer said, nodding his head as he spoke. Sam's eyes skeptically eyed Lucifer, feeling his heartbeat quicken. There was an ordinary man beneath that devilish mask, perhaps someone who was a loving father or a kind friend. And his eyes were ones that seemed like they would have been filled with a comforting warmth. Not anymore. Now they were as cold as ice. Those were the eyes of Lucifer━━━truly in the flesh. Well, Lucifer wasn't really there with Sam, but he did manage to find him in his dreams. "I don't suppose you'd tell me where you are?"

Sam shook his head, harshly staring at Lucifer. "What do you want with me?"

"Thanks to you, I walk the earth. I want to give you a gift. I want to give you everything."

"I don't want anything from you."

Lucifer stared at Sam for a few seconds, taking in his harsh expression. There was a mix of anger, sadness, and a sense of discomfort all looming inside of Sam. He could feel it festering just below the surface, stirring together exactly how he wanted. "I'm so sorry, Sam. I really am, but Nick here is just an improvisation," Lucifer said, gesturing to his vessel. "Plan 'B'. He can barely contain me without spontaneously combusting."

"What are you talking about?" Sam asked, a hint of confusion mixed in his voice.

"Why do you think you were in that chapel?" Lucifer asked, moving towards Sam who only backed away. "You're the one, Sam. You're my vessel. My true vessel."

Dread and fear washed over Sam like a tidal wave, threatening to knock him down as Lucifer only grinned at his reaction. "No," Sam whispered.

Lucifer nodded, his smile growing at Sam's expression. "Yes."

"No," Sam said again, firmly shaking his head. "That'll never happen."

"I'm sorry, but it will. I will find you." Lucifer stepped closer and Sam moved away from him again, trying to keep plenty of distance between them. "And when I do. . .you will let me in. I'm sure of it."

"You need my consent?" Sam asked.

Lucifer crossed his arms over his chest, appearing slightly offended by the question. "Of course," he answered, looking a little smug. "I'm an angel."

Sam faked out a light laugh. "I will kill myself before letting you in."

"And I'll just bring you back." Sam's face faltered slightly at that, nervously gulping. Lucifer heavily sighed, shaking his head. He'd really hoped he could manage to get through to Sam. But, he wasn't afraid of a challenge. He wouldn't give up until Sam finally said "yes" to him. "Sam, my heart breaks for you. The weight on your shoulders, what you've done, what you still have to do. It is more than anyone could bear. If there was some other way. . .but there isn't."

Sam shook his head in denial. There had to be another way.

There had to be.

"I will never lie to you," Lucifer said, taking just a few steps closer. "I will never trick you. But you will say yes to me."