Ch7 - Only friends (literally)

"Your client Mr Toptap has not submitted the payment yet." New said hovering over Tay's desk.

"He has requested for one more week." Tay replied nonchalantly.

"Well, in that case finance department will charge interest to your client for delayed payment." New raised one eyebrow with a smug face.

"Go ahead. By all means. Then if the sales head asks why we lost an esteemed client like him, I will escalate your name there." Tay replied with a sardonic smile.

And both their corporate asses burst into a fit of laughter.

"Asshole. You dare escalate my name."

Tay never imagined his sweet looking mouth could fire cuss words so freely.

***

"Te. Te. Want to have lunch with me today?" As always, he came barging in his department office and stood over his desk wearing a beautiful smile.

"Why don't you go ask your boyfriend in IB department." Bummer.

"We are only friends I told you already. And you know he is always busy."

"Oh! Right. I forgot you made me believe you were boyfriends for the entire time." Tay was still salty about it.

"Awe! Somebody's still sulking."

"Sulking is what you must have done after going on the knees for him."

"Oh! Should I have gone on my knees for you, my fanboy – who gave me my favorite cake and oh the very sentimental T-shirt?" Another smug face from New.

"You loved that T-shirt. And came crashing on me at my place, should I remind you?" Said Tay furiously from his seat.

At the memory of it, New felt embarrassed and turned to leave. But before leaving, he questioned again, "Lunch or not?"

***

A year ago, during the first few training weeks in the company, the two had an ice-breaking moment. The two people who in fact had shared a passionate kiss once. Not even knowing important details about one another; yes, they needed an ice-breaking moment. Frequently so, given the baggage of awkwardness they carried.

"Why don't you go and sit with your boyfriend there?" Tay said as New came and sit beside him during the 1st week of training.

"Are you teasing me? He wants to sit with other joinees in his department. And he is not my boyfriend."

"What? Did you guys breakup?" Tay's neck snapped in his direction so swiftly that it could break.

New looked at him leaning away from him. He thought Tay already knew about his breakup, "The very next day."

"Why?" That was bit too loud and stretched for a training class. After few eyes fell on them. New hushed him shut.

After few seconds, Tay pulled a cuff of his shirt. He was waiting for an answer.

New rolled his eyes, leaned towards Tay and spoke plainly, "He said his parents would never agree. My grandpa said even if I love him I shouldn't be with him if he cannot stand up to his parents for me. I told him to be just friends on the very next morning." 

After few seconds, New spoke again, "Wait... did you think, I k-kissed you that day... while I was still boyfriends with Earth?"

Tay looked back at the presentation.

"What do you take me for? A cheat?" New asked frowningly, little irked.

Tay shrugged off the topic, "Shh... Focus on the presentation, New."

New pressed his lips and shook his head in response.

Tay cannot deny that somewhere a shameless part of him felt happy, but it also made him angry knowing that New loved someone who couldn't even fight for him. If he had a chance, he would fight the whole world for him. "D-do you... still love him?"

"Shh... Focus on the presentation, Te."

Tay hit his arm with his elbow knowing he was playing his tricks on him. New smiled at his frustration and replied after a thought looking at Tay, "I do."

I do. Had New said these words under some other circumstance, Tay's heart would have failed due to excessive happiness. But right now, his heart fell into Marina trench. His face changed. Eyes felt warm. He looked at the presentation like he was watching a psycho thriller. New answered after giving it a thought. It wasn't on impulse. This fact did more damage to Tay. He wanted to ask why in hell does Earth matter to him. But there is only so much a man can take. He has had enough for a day.

And sadly, he did not need to ask why New kissed him anymore. He knows he was just a temporary pain-relief. A rebound at max. He was absolutely barmy to have believed that New felt those things too. Plain right stupid.

With that his brain also created a future protection plan for his heart. He engraved deeply on his lizard brain - no matter what he does, he can never make New feel how Earth makes him feel. He made himself gulp this fact with alcohol for few nights and then made his peace with it. But what he couldn't gulp was the fact that given a chance to be a pain-relief again, he will happily dispense himself. Again.

***

That was a year ago. Now, Tay's obsession for the boy has grown multi-folds, but so has his control. He easily masks his desires with friendship. He can be nominated in Oscar for that. Good thing, the friendship of Thitipoom is as interesting as he is, that helps him easing the process of 'friendship'.

And partially, work helps too. Working with one of the biggest companies in Bangkok isn't easy. It demands work against the perks it offers. The magic of the corporate world is showing as well. One year in the industry and they have become bolder than what they used to be. They can even joke around the things they were once touchy about.

Tay's interaction with Earth however, remains limited just like before. They only exchange words for some business or sometimes when they meet over lunch. Tay just couldn't connect with him. Even if New were not in the picture.

***

It's time to reap the benefits after the busiest year in the lives of the new employees.

"Have you done shopping for the company trip?"

"I am not a shopping kind of guy, New."

"You don't shop?" New put his index on his chin, "But I don't see you naked."

Tay rolls his eyes and this time iterated more clearly, "I only shop online, New."

"But I don't. So, you are coming with me."

Tay just rolled his eyes for the nth time. Inside, of course he was happy.

They went to Siam Center to shop after the office hour.

Tay was holding the 10th bag for New, "Can you call your ex-boyfriend to hold these for you?"

"Shut up. I know you love holding my bags, my fanboy." He does.

***

A cocktail party for marking a successful financial year of Evlom group of companies. At a luxurious beach resort. It's Tay's only second beer but the burn in his insides is severe with watching New sharing the dance floor with Earth. New gestures for him to join. It works like a balm for sometime then the same old suffocation follows.

He leaves the indoor party and breathes in the fresh air at the beach. Staring into nothingness in the dark sea is better than watching New dance with Earth. Why can't he love me instead? Why can't he see me in the same light? All these thoughts filled Tay's mind. He lies down looking at the sky. Trying to ease up. And after a while, he feels his friend's presence. He comes and lies down near him without saying anything.

"Don't you want to dance anymore?" Tay asked without sparing a glance.

"No. I want to count the stars with you."

***