Chapter 33: The Step Up

ابدأ من البداية

Calm down Vannessa. You can do this, just answer the call and don't get nervous.

I took a deep breath. Exhaled and quickly clicked the call button before I could psych myself out.

Immediately the two girls' faces dominated the two halves of the screen in two rectangles. My face was the smallest, sitting in a square at the bottom right of the large screen.

"Hey Vannessa!" Mary greeted.

Her long black hair spilled over her shoulders and her hand was on her jaw. I could also see her feet propped in the air behind her head.

"Annyong!" Allison chirped.

I mumbled a hoarse 'hey' and raised my eyebrows in confusion.

As if Mary could read my thoughts, she intervened with a roll of her beautiful bright blue eyes.

"Don't ask," she grumbled. "Recently Allison's been trying to learn Korean on Doughlinho. She's stupid."

Allison jumped to her defense and grabbed her chest defensively.

"It's Duolingo Mary. Now you're the one that looks stupid."

"At least I'm not stupid," Mary countered. "I only look stupid."

Mary grinned at Allison when she didn't reply like she accomplished an honorable reward and stuck her tongue out.

I suppose not having a retort, Allison folded her arms and flung her body back into the chair she was sitting in dramatically.

"I might be stupid but you have a small tongue!" Allison exclaimed and I burst out laughing.

"Thanks for the compliment!"

Mary grinned and stuck her tongue out again.

"Anyways," Mary flipped off Allison playfully before continuing. "Vannessa! How's it been? We haven't seen each other in ages."

I laughed heartily. And the uneasiness from before slowly dissipated as we engaged in light conversation.

"We saw each other just last week," I pointed out.

"Exactly, last week was so long ago."

I shook my head at her antics.

A boisterous snore sprang from Allison's caller screen and my eyes flitted to her.

Her mop of ginger hair covered her face as she hung her head sideways on the chair that she was sitting on.

"Allison," Mary reprimanded. "Why do you have to be so extra?"

"Guys I'm bored." Allison ignored Mary like she never said anything and Mary huffed irritably before muttering something incomprehensible.

"You're using your phone now," I said. "How are you bored?"

"Pft, so." Allison rolled her eyes. "That doesn't mean I'm not bored out of my mind."

"You're always bored," Mary quipped.

"I know." Allison frowned. "I want a break from my loud siblings."

The first time we met, Allison had mentioned that she has five siblings that live with her. Two sisters, and three brothers who are all under fifteen and very chaotic.

At that moment, the door behind Allison burst open and what looked like a round cushion flew into Allison's room. It smacked Allison right in the back of her head before any of us could utter a warning and Allison sprung up from her chair hotly.

"Ow! You dirty little brat!"

Allison abandoned her phone as she grabbed a little auburn haired boy who peeked his body through the door with a mischievous laugh. She grabbed him by his shirt and shook him violently.