Part 42: Some Chicken Wings

Start from the beginning

"Aw Max, did anyone ever mentioned how sweet you are?" Layla cooed and smiled, buttering him up.

"Really?" He asked and Layla nodded as he continued, "Layla stop buttering me, you know I'm on a diet."
The four of them laughed at his joke and Iqra and Shifa gave their orders to him.

"You're going with whom?" Shifa interrogated and he added, "Lexi, Theo and Zayn. We're taking him out so that he relaxes a bit. We'll be back in no time."

Yet beneath the surface, she couldn't shake the lingering unease that gnawed at my insides. Amaan's absence weighed heavily on her mind as due to her memory loss, she is unaware of the now rigid relationship they share, where her once loving boyfriend has now started to neglect and ignore her. With the constant reminder of the shadows that lurked beneath the surface of their seemingly idyllic world, she feared what his disappearance might signify, a portent of darker days ahead.

Pushing aside her concerns, she focuses on the present moment, savoring the laughter and camaraderie that filled the room.

"Hey," Layla spoke, catching the attention of her friends and added, "Any idea where Amaan might be?"

As Layla's question lingered in the air, the atmosphere in the room shifted, a subtle tension settling over her friends. Iqra and Shifa exchanged knowing glances, their frustration simmering just beneath the surface as they awaited Amaan's arrival.

Moments later, the door swung open, and Amaan stepped into the room, his presence casting a shadow over the joyous atmosphere. Layla's smile grew broader as she caught sight of him, her heart anyhow heavy with unspoken questions and lingering doubts.

"Amaan," Layla greeted softly, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

Amaan's expression softened as he crossed the room to her side, reaching out to gently grasp her hand. "Layla, I'm so sorry I couldn't be here earlier," he apologized, his tone laced with sincerity. "I got held up with some work, but I rushed over as soon as I could when Zayn told me that you woke up."

Iqra and Shifa exchanged skeptical glances, their frustration bubbling to the surface as they struggled to contain their anger. "You should have been here hours ago, Amaan," Iqra admonished, her voice laced with thinly veiled resentment. "Layla needed you."

Amaan's gaze flickered with guilt as he glanced between Layla and her friends, his expression pained. "I know, and I'm sorry," he murmured, his voice heavy with regret. "I'll make it up to her, I promise."

Layla offered him a small smile, her heart torn between forgiveness and doubt. Despite her lingering reservations, she couldn't deny the pull of her emotions, the familiar warmth of Amaan's presence offering a semblance of comfort in the midst of uncertainty.

As Zayn's anger simmered just below the surface, a tense silence descended upon the room, thick with unspoken accusations and lingering suspicions. Theo, Max, and Lexi exchanged wary glances, their discomfort palpable in the air as they braced themselves for the confrontation that was about to unfold.

Zayn's voice cut through the silence like a knife, his words sharp with frustration and betrayal. "What are you doing here, Amaan?" he demanded, his tone laced with venom. "And why couldn't you be here earlier when Layla needed you the most?"

Amaan's gaze faltered under Zayn's piercing stare, his composure slipping for a moment before he regained his facade of innocence. "I-I got held up with work," he stammered, his voice strained with feigned sincerity. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be late."