Trust being restored.

(Yeah,I don't know what to think about this one.)

Chapter 8.

The next day, Liam walked to school with a spring in his step. He couldn't wait to see Daniel again, and the thought of spending time with his friend, Daniel, made him feel strangely happy. The night before, Micheal had insisted Liam to wear some of his clean clothes to the academy, since Liam's own clothes were rather worn and torn. Michael didn't go to the same school as Liam - he attended a different academy on the east side of the Divided District neighbourhood, one that was free of charge, since not everyone could afford the fees at the Ivory Academy. But Michael had told him that it was more than okay to school there.

When Liam arrived at school, he hurried to his first class and began working on the math homework he hadn't been able to finish the night before, his mind still preoccupied with the events of the day. He took his seat in the front row, determined to get the work done quickly and accurately, not wanting to attract the attention of his teacher or get in trouble. The sound of his classmates' voices filled the air, many of them already discussing the latest gossip with confidence. Liam sighed and tried to focus on his work.

"Hey, Liam! Long time no see!" a voice said in front of him. He turned to see Toby, who grinned at him as he took the seat behind him. Liam tried to be friendly, but he couldn't shake the feeling of unease that came over him whenever he saw Toby. He was still wary of the boy, even though he hadn't done anything to him for a while. The class was buzzing with whispered conversations, and the other students shot curious glances in his direction. Toby was acting friendly, but Liam couldn't help but feel a little nervous.

"You look different," Toby said, a note of curiosity in his voice. "Did you go shopping or something?" Liam stiffened a little, feeling the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He wasn't sure what to say, so he kept his eyes fixed on the page in front of him, hoping Toby would get the hint and leave him alone. But Toby didn't take the hint. "Hey, I'm just curious," he said, his voice a little defensive.

"I'm too broke for that, Toby," Liam said, trying to deflect the question with a chuckle. Turning to face Toby.

"No, no, I didn't mean it like that!" Toby protested, his voice softening. "I can help you out if you need anything. I just want to be a good friend, you know?" He smiled at Liam, but it was a different smile from the one he usually wore, a smile that didn't reach his eyes. It was then that Liam noticed something strange about Toby - he looked different, somehow. His features were the same, but there was something off about him, something that made him seem like a completely different person.

"Chill out, I told you in the car that I had a change of heart." Toby said popping a smile at Liam. " and also Daniel sent over the clothes and other stuff you left over at our house, he said he'd buy you more but he thinks you should keep those. They are in the car, I'll give you them when I drop you off." Toby said smiling at Liam who only widened his eyes more. His mouth wide opened.

"What do you mean, 'drop me off'?!" Liam exclaimed, his voice rising in volume before he could stop himself. A hush fell over the classroom, and all eyes turned to him. "Shhh!" Toby hissed, raising a hand to silence him. "Daniel didn't come to school today, and I know he'd kill me if I didn't take care of you." He pulled out his math book and began to pretend to study, as if nothing had happened. Liam sat in silence, trying to process what he'd just heard.

Liam's heart sank when Toby mentioned that he wouldn't see Daniel today. He missed his new found friend so much, and he longed for one of those hugs that always made him feel like everything would be okay. But now, he was stuck in this situation, with Toby pretending to study his math book and everyone else in the room pretending to ignore what had just happened. He sighed and turned back to his own book, trying to force himself to focus on the problems in front of him.