Chapter 23 | Kenma The Cockblocker

Start from the beginning

A 'game over' sound effect played in the background, followed by an exasperated sigh as Kenma stood up. He turned to you two, face flushing and he averted his gaze. Picking up your wallet from the floor, he headed to the door. "I, uhh, I'm going to buy some more snacks."

"Wasn't that my wallet?" You wondered aloud as soon as Kenma left, your eyes widening in realization. "It was my wallet! That kid...!"

"Don't worry, I'll pay it back for you." Kuroo chuckled, moving his head away slightly to look at your pouting face. "Now put that frown away."

"It's fine, you don't have to pay back." You averted your gaze, tilting your face to the side to hide your blush. His face was so close, and you can't help but glance at his lips.

"If you say so." He unwrapped his arms and dropped himself down the bed, patting on the spot beside him. You laid down as well, using his arm as a pillow, but you picked up the manga first, and opened it again as you laid down.

That was just how you two were; sweet, comfortable, physically close and affectionate, but not together. At least, not yet. Flipping to the page where you stopped, you continued to read the chapter with Kuroo.

"He stabbed his wife? That's sick."

"He used her mental illness to try to kill her." You closed the comic, creating a faint slamming sound before you placed it down. Keeping your gaze on the white ceiling, you took a deep breath. "Kuroo..."

"Hmm?"

There's something that you've been meaning to ask of him, but have been contemplating about it. Now was the right time, before you forget about it again. "Why do you like me?" You quietly asked, hugging a pillow on top of you.

"What do you mean, why?"

"I mean... why me?" You turned to the side, your back facing his body and your gaze falling downcast. "I don't understand."

"Why wouldn't I like you?" Kuroo turned to face your figure as well, supporting his head with his arm as he slightly lifted himself sideways. "Don't you trust me?"

"It's not that." You sighed. "I'm just... Well, I'm stupid, boring... I have no goals whatever, I'm basically a NEET, and I'm plenty weird. I don't get how you managed to like me despite all those." Bitterly chuckling, you lowered your voice to a whisper. "Are you sure you're not... just pitying me?"

Kuroo became silent. His heart ached and his smile dropped. "After all this time, you still doubt my feelings?" He sounded so hurt, making your eyes widen as you suddenly felt guilty. "I... I'm sorry if I wasn't proving it enough."

The bed shifted, and you quickly turned around to see he had sat up, and was now sitting by the edge of the bed. You hurriedly sat up as well, tugging on his shirt to stop him from standing up. "No, I—" You cut yourself off, realizing what you've asked him was really horrible. "I... I'm sorry, I didn't mean that."

You kneeled stridely on the bed beside him, wrapping your arms around his neck from behind. "I wasn't—... I'm sorry, I've been filled with insecurities..."

"B-But you're doing more than enough, honestly... Kuroo," You moved out of the bed, then standing in front of him. His head hung low and his eyes were locked on the ground, and you placed your hands on either sides of his cheeks as you gently tilted his head up to face you. His eyes were filled with pain, and it broke you. "I'm sorry, please forget what I just said..."

"(Y/N), why are you being so hard on yourself?" When he looked at you with his pain-filled eyes, you realized it wasn't because of your question. He was hurt at the thought that you still hated yourself, after everything. He was saddened, he didn't want you to feel that way anymore, but he hasn't made any changes. "You're an amazing person. You're interesting, honest, creative, sweet... there's a lot more good things about you. And it may be different from the rest, but you have an ambition. You have your own passion."

"I-I... I don't know, I just— Feel so little." You looked down, your hands dropping to his shoulders. "I was rebelling, yeah. I was satisfied with myself when I knew I was gonna disappoint my parents. It was my childish revenge. But... But now, I..."

You held back your tears, taking a deep breath and swallowing the thick lump that formed in your throat. Looking at his hazel cat-like eyes, you felt pulled in; drowned with something addictive. His eyes were so beautiful, something you'd want to see everyday.

"Because I like you so much... That I feel so insecure about myself, like... I can't be with you because I'm only this." You confessed, not realizing you had just voiced out your feelings for him for the first time. His eyes widened, and his heart leaped when he heard those words, and he just wanted to pull you in his arms.

Kuroo was speechless, he was lost in your eyes as your words repeated on his mind over and over again.

"But Kuroo, I'm going to become better." You vowed. "B-Because I also want to be with you..." Your face heated up at your words, your gaze falling to his lips when he spoke.

"(Y/N)... I understand. I'll wait for you, no matter how long it takes. I'll be with you through it all." He smiled warmly, placing his hand on your cheek while the other tucked the strands of your hair behind your ear.

Staring at him through the lenses of your glasses, you felt something pulling you that you didn't realize your distance was getting shorter. 'Just this once...' You thought.

"Kuroo..." You leaned forward, your eyes slowly closing as you moved your lips towards his. 'Just this once... for reassurance...'

It was drowning, the sight of each other's half-lidded eyes were making you feel intoxicated. You felt his hot breath fan your face, your hearts loudly beating in sync against your chests.

As you got closer and closer, your minds became more empty. Nothing else mattered, just the two of you together at that moment.

"I'm back..." The sound of the door opening suddenly brought you to reality, and you hastily pushed him away out of surprise and embarrassment, causing you to receive the impact instead and fall on the floor.

"Huh?" Kenma looked at the two of you, noticing your reddened faces. "Did I interrupt something?"

"No!" You yelled.

"Yeah..." Kuroo answered at the same time, making you glare at him while he smirked playfully.

"M-More importantly, g-give me back my wallet, Kenma!" You scurried your way to your cousin, noticing the two plastic bags he was carrying. One had the logo of a convenience store, while the other one was a bit familiar.

You squinted your eyes, eyebrows furrowing as you counted your money. "Hey, didn't you spend so much?"

Kenma fidgeted nervously. "Oh, about that... I accidentally bought a new game."

"With MY money... you WHAT?!" You yelled in disbelief.

——————————
To Be Continued
——————————