Treinta y uno

Dinner was silent. Three people were sitting on the couch, barely holding it together while one of them was in a delirious kind of state, eating the fries without any kind of problems while the other three barely managed to swallow anything. 

Andorra's brain had successfully put her in a state of delusion where her parents were still alive and coming home soon. All she had to do was to act normal and wait, so that is exactly what she did.

She was a little bit more silent but eating the fries with a normal appetite, the TV in the background causing a little bit of noise when it turned to the news.

The silence was deafening as a scene was shown in Madrid of earlier that day, two cars total loss. One of the cars was that of Hernandez.

Rosa fumbled slightly as she tried to switch channels as quick as she could, the silence between them significantly heavier as Andorra had also been watching, three sets of eyes now trained on her as the fry was halfway to her mouth, all of the delusion left her brain immediately.

"Switch back."

Her voice was dry and distant, her empty eyes suddenly switching in all kinds of emotions, Rosa looking at her in concern. "Are you-"

"Please."

Rosa silently nodded her head and switched back to the news channel where the report was given. There were 4 casualties. One family consisting of 2 older people and a younger boy, the news channel not having any names as the last casualty was the one of the other car. Driver died on impact and was ruled as a drunk.

Names hadn't been given but the family on the couch knew that it was about Andorra's family.

The black Mercedes that they owned on the screen, not much left of the car.

The news cut back to the studio where they started to cover a new item, the sound of the tv drowned out as they all sat and watched Andorra's reaction.

Tears gathered in her eyes, the mirror that her brain had put in her eyes shattered, the cruel, harsh reality slowly settling in.

The silence was cut short by an incoming call. Rosa picked up the phone and greeted the person on the other side. "Yes.. This is her mom... yes, we were close with her family... I don't know if she is ready for that... Yes I will be able to identify them... Okay, I'm on my way... Thank you... see you in a bit."

Rosa hung up the phone and looked between the three others on the couch. "I have to go downtown to identify the bodies. I will be back soon."

"Can I come too?"

Aitana gently put her hand on Andorra's shoulder, looking at her with concern. "Are you sure?" Andorra turned her head to look at her girlfriend, said woman holding her gasp in when she saw her eyes. Where the last time that she looked into them, they had been empty, now they were filled with fear and above all, grief.

Her head moved up and down. "I need to see them one last time."

Rosa, who had stood up now looked at her husband, the man answering the question without it having been asked. "I will clean up here. You go on ahead."

Rosa nodded her head and Aitana moved to put her shoes on but a hand with neatly polished nails in front of her face stopped her. Her brown eyes followed the hand up the arm and then locked eyes with Andorra who shook her head. "I need to do this as alone as possible. I will inform you when we get back. Get a shower and change clothes in the meantime." Andorra was mentioning Aitana's clothes that had still been thrown together and inside out and the mess as she had put them on back at the stadium.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

Aitana nodded her head and after a last look at Rosa and Vincent, Andorra got out of the house with Rosa, climbing into the passenger seat of the family car while Rosa got into the driver's side, the two of them soon on their way in silence, Andorra mentally preparing herself for whatever she was about to see soon.