ch 2 - a cornered doe

Start from the beginning

Most vampires could care less about punishing people deemed criminals as it is simply not in them to care.

Under the blue light of the three moons, two figures were running down the middle of the barren street. One was clearly after the other and the other was desperately trying to get away.

Based on how fast the two figures were running, they were obviously both vampires however one was clearly more bloodthirsty than the other.

The man running away sharply turned right into one of the many alleyways of the city and then slid into a small opening in a fence at the end of the alley. He frantically looked around as he realized that it was a dead end.

Everything went quiet as the man tried to stifle his breathing, his red eyes full of uncertainty. For a few seconds he seemed to be safe and was relieved until he saw a gloved hand reach through the hole in the fence, feeling around. He let out a surprised, yelp of desperation, backing into the dark corner.

The gloved hand stopped moving around as it found something to latch onto and then easily ripped open the rest of the fence, tearing it to shreds.

Still desperate to live, the cornered vampire attempted to climb the wired fence behind him. Unfortunately, before he could even make it half way, a large hand grabbed him by the back of his shirt, harshly throwing him onto the ground below. The man let out a pained gasp as the ground made contact with his back.

The man looked up at his assailant, who was menacingly standing in front of him, a sinister smile painted across his face.

Yato gave the man a chance to beg, as it was his favorite part but the injured vampire lying below his feet only spit on him in response.

As a result, Yato gave his face a harsh kick before finally killing him.

Blood curdling screams filled the streets and then a gargling sound.

——————

The next couple of weeks went by in a blur for Elise. It didn't quite feel real yet that she was actually attending school. Although it wasn't exactly the most comfortable experience so far, she much preferred it over being locked inside.

Still, she was so far behind in all of the material that some of the classes made no sense at all to her. Clearly, her father wasn't the best teacher when he homeschooled her. She almost felt stupid and slightly naive to think she would be on the same level as her peers who had already been attending school their whole lives.

Her new friend, Yato, was constantly glued to her side at school which she appreciated as it seemed to keep the creeps away. She wasn't exactly sure if it was simply his presence that was keeping people away or something else entirely but either way, he seemed to have a sort of power over his peers.

The occasional students did actually say or do malicious things to her but it didn't really get to her as it was expected in a school full of vampires. Thankfully, things haven't gone too far yet with any bullies.

It was not until next Friday that she had her first unnerving experience.

—-—-——

Elise looked under the benches in the girls locker room, looking for her backpack which had her uniform so she could change out of her gym clothes.

There were about eight girls in there, with three changing next to Elise. They kept stealing glances over their shoulders, trying to hold back snickers as they watched her look for her bag.

Elise noticed and quickly realized they must have hid her bag somewhere. She felt her eyebrow twitch a little in annoyance. Ultimately, she just shrugged it off and then continued looking because who in the hell would she be to start something in a room full of vampires.