Chapter Four

Eventually, the fever broke. I sat in the tub for a good long while after. The lights took on a more bearable intensity. I blinked. My dream flashed behind my eyes. I tasted the blood, still heard the wolves howling, teeth in my flesh and the scent of raw meat lingered under my nose. My stomach churned. Ravenous.

When was the last time I ate a real meal?

I drug myself out of the tub, still dripping and stripped off the rest of my soaked clothes. They slumped in a soggy heap on the tile.

I dried off and went to my bedroom for pajamas. The bed had crisp sheets pulled up to the pillows. I couldn't remember the last time I'd truly slept in it. Suddenly, it seemed like the best idea in the world. I pulled on my flannel pajama pants, almost giddy with anticipation. The soft fabric against my skin bordered on ecstatic.

What is wrong with me? Shouldn't I be afraid? 

I scurried into the kitchen for food. I remembered my pizza slice falling somewhere in the cemetery and kicked myself for not getting groceries. It was certainly too late to order out now and there was no way I was going to leave the house in whatever state of my mind this was. A brown paper bag on the counter caught my eye. In my previous panic, I hadn't noticed it on my way to the washroom.

A sticky note from Seff was beside it; 

'For the love of God eat something, dingus.'

I tore into the bag, immediately greeted by the scent of fast food. My mouth watered and I carried it to bed. I climbed under the sheets with no care for the grease on the white linen. I devoured the meal in minutes. Each bite was like fireworks. Especially the meat.

Though my mind whirred, my body became heavy. Now that I was snuggled up, I didn't want to move. Instead, I watched the ceiling ripple and morph in swelling undulations.

Reality shouldn't be warping like this, but... it is, and it's so pretty.

Am I dying?

Should I call someone? Seff? What would I say?

How can I paint this kind of movement?

My eyelids tugged down and I was hauled into sleep once again.

****

I woke to song birds. Soft dawn light filtered through the sheer white curtains. For a moment, I forgot last night, and blessedly even the night before, but it all rushed back. As did all the sounds of the world. I smashed my palms to my ears. My teeth clenched.

Gradually, I focused on breathing and the noise lessened. At least I was able to filter them better.

What the fuck is happening to me?

I crawled out of bed and got dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. Reality remained static. If not for how vivid everything was, I could almost believe whatever had hold of me last night had passed.

The bedroom door stuck when I tried to open it. Summer humidity caused the wood to swell. I twisted the knob and gave it a tug. The hinges ripped from the doorframe in snapping splinters.

I blinked in disbelief, looking from the knob still in my hand, and back to the empty archway.

Seriously, what the fuck.

Should I talk to Rudi?

If she really isn't connected to this, I'll sound insane, but she might be the only one who knows what the hell is going on.

So, I compromised. I decided I'd go down to the café. If she were there, I'd vibe it out and see what to say.

What does it matter if she thinks I'm nuts?