Chapter 1 Jinmenken

It was a dark and stormy Monday night in Japan The only light that was present that night was coming from the street lamps. My apartment looked like any other 1 BHK apartment where I lived alone and it was not that far from the railway station so it was easy for me to go to work.

I was walking down the street to my apartment after coming from work, the road I took was always near a park where I sometimes sat down and close my eyes because it is silent and I feel like I don’t have any responsibilities and I can relax there. So today I also decided to sit down in the park and close my eyes to relax and forget about my responsibilities. The park looked like any normal park you would find, it had a slide, a swing,    all of those things you would find in a park.

Today while I was relaxing in the park I suddenly thought of an urban legend the name of the urban legend was Jinmenken or it was also known as “human-faced dog”. The urban legend stated that Jinmenken looked like a dog with a human face and it is said to wander around urban areas at night and it is also said that they can run at extremely fast and they can also outrun a car to then look behind with their face. It is also said that they prefer to be alone and when someone comes near them they say LEAVE ME ALONE in a willowy voice.

So while I was relaxing in the park I suddenly heard something come towards the park I thought that someone else was also sick of their job and they were coming here to relax so I overlooked it but then I heard a sound and it sounded like what a dog would make while looking for something in a trashcan so I opened my eyes to see what was going on and when I opened my eyes I saw a dog looking for something in the trashcan which was in front of me and I thought to myself “So it was a dog who was making all of that sound, huh” but when I was about to close my eyes the dog turned around and it said “LEAVE ME ALONE”.

And the face of that dog was not like a normal dog, the face of that dog looked like a human. After seeing that face and hearing its voice I ran away from the park as fast as I could to get to my apartment, I took a glance behind to see if it was following me but there wasn’t anyone behind me but when I turned to look forward I saw it, that dog or what people call it jinmenken showing it’s creepy face to me but I ignored that and continue running towards my apartment. When I reached my apartment I closed my door but when I looked out of the window to see if it was still following me I saw that there was no one…… I took a deep breath, but after a few seconds had passed I saw it outside the window there he was Jinmenken and after that I lost my consciousness

After that the next day I took a day off from work because of that incident I had witnessed yesterday. Then one of my neighbours came to my apartment my neighbour was a cute looking girl she looked like a college student. She asked me "why was I running last night for no reason". I replied that a Jinmenken was chasing me last night but as soon as I said that she started laughing and said "well are you kidding me there is no such thing as a Jinmenken". After that she left and I said to myself "What the hell is happening , was it a dream, no I remember it perfectly it was not a dream it was real so why was she saying that I was running for no reason" but I guess we will never find out because somehow I forgot all about Jinmenken and what my neighbour said because of work.