9 | Just a fish

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I sure do. Uncle Hosea made me one."

"Good. Well let's go get it then, and go catch us some fish!"

"Yeah!" Jack laughs hurrying into camp to retrieve his fishing pole. Arthur mounts his horse.

Arthur's demeanour is surprising to Mary-Beth, he sounds so different to the man he usually is, but that's usually the effect children have on people.

Jack returns quickly, which is a relief to Mary-Beth. Arthur stows Jack's little fishing rod in his saddle, then effortlessly lifts Jack from the ground with one arm and rests him securely in front of him.

It's unfortunately undeniably attractive.

"Well? You coming?" Arthur speaks to Mary-Beth for the first time today, giving her a slightly irritated nod in response to her not moving.

"Oh yes. Of course." Mary-Beth hurriedly unhitches a camp horse and pulls herself into the saddle. Arthur nudges Artura forward quickly before Mary-Beth is ready so that she has to urge her horse to gallop after his.

When she catches up to Arthur, Jack is chatting curiously. "So where are we going?" He asks.

"Just down to the river near here. We shouldn't go too far from camp."

"Oh okay."

"You feeling better? I know you was a little sick." Arthur queries.

"Oh I'm fine."

"You're a brave kid."

"So, just like you."

Arthur chuckles. "Well I don't know about brave... I ain't much of a kid no more. Though your momma might disagree. Her and a few other women I guess..."

Mary-Beth wonders if Arthur realises she's listening, or if he meant for her to hear. If so, is he apologising or something? She doesn't have a clue.

"What do you mean?" Jack asks, apparently just as confused as Mary-Beth.

"Oh I'm just talking silly... it's been a tough few weeks up in that snow."

"I liked the snow." Jack chirps innocently.

"Yes but not like that."

"Me and Mary-Beth made a snowman."

Mary-Beth remembers that day. Jack was tugging on Abigail's sleeve, begging her to take him outside and play. Abigail was busy tending to injured John, or maybe scolding him, but either way there wasn't a chance she was going outside with Jack.

Mary-Beth saw how Jack was annoying his mother and decided to offer to take him out. It was a clear, sunny day, and if they bundled up they would be just fine.

So they went outside and made a snow man. It turned out very lopsided, but it was their creation nonetheless, and Jack was infinitely proud.

"What fun." Arthur smiles at Jack, who is peering back up at him. "Alright this is as good a spot as any." Arthur pulls to a halt near the river side. He lowers Jack to the ground before passing him his rod and hopping down himself.