T w e n t y - o n e

The vibrations and ringtones inevitably woke Miracle up. She was hoping to sleep in since it was a Saturday and she didn't have anything planned but Charis had other plans. Yawning, she picks up the call.

"I have called you eight times, Miracle. What were you doing?" Charis yelled into the phone.

"Sleeping," She replied, rubbing her eyes gently. "Like all the other normal humans."

"How did you even sleep through your phone ringing? And don't tell me it was silent, you never put it on silent."

"I was just tired."

"You now have less than an hour to meet me at my house, thanks to your slumber." Charis said.

If there was one thing Miracle admired about her best friend was her authoritative nature. Charis wasn't always like this but she grew into a more confident version of herself. The Charis she knew in middle school that would rather take a different route when she spots the bullies is far different from the one she was talking to now.

Miracle wondered what changed as she begrudgingly got out of her bed, quickly making it. It was something that gave her a sense of control – making her bed.

She got ready in almost no time because her hair didn't need to be styled – it was braided, she just let it sway at her back.

The bright rays of the sun greeted her as soon as she stepped out of the comfort of her house. Miracle immediately put on her sunglasses. The key to her car dangled in her hands as she walked towards it. She sat in the passenger seat, waiting for Ethan.

After only a couple of minutes, Ethan joined her in the car. He couldn't hide his amusement. Miracle noted that he seemed in a much better place than the last time they spoke.

"What's the occasion?" He probed, sliding the keys into the ignition to start the car.

"Is this a new car?" He suddenly got confused. "I can't remember Mr Benjamin buying a car."

"Calm down, detective. It's my car. And secondly, do there have to be an occasion before I can go out?" She threw him an inquisitive look.

"You didn't tell me you were buying your first official car," Ethan feigned being hurt. "I thought we were friends, Miracle."

"It was a gift." She replied curtly, her mood turning slightly sour.

"Allow me the honors of guessing, Peré Lavigne?"

She nodded absentmindedly as she inspected her fingernails.

"The car is actually the perfect one for your first time. It's a smooth ride."

"I know. He took me on a little road trip the day he gifted me."

"I'm so jealous." Ethan laughed.

"If anyone should be jealous, it should be me. You and Leila's relationship seems to be going smoothly considering she forgot to make my breakfast this morning. What are you doing to her? I had to make do with cereal and fruit." Miracle shook her head as she lamented, glaring at Ethan.

"I didn't do anything, I promise. She probably just forgot because she was tired."

"Look at you making excuses for her. You're so in love and you can't even deny it." She teased.

He just smiled. "Seriously, where are we going? I've been trying in a circle for the past five minutes."

"We're going to the mall but first, we have to pick Charis." Miracle told him the address, be quickly located it, carefully pulling up into the driveway. The community was not as fancy as Miracle's but it wasn't the cheapest either. The house itself has a Victorian style, it had (describe house)

"You can go on, I'll wait for you in the car. That gives me enough time to fully inspect it." Miracle shook her head as she walked up to their porch, knocking curtly.

However, she wasn't ready for the sight waiting for her behind the door.

"It's open!" A voice she knew all too well called out. Miracle couldn't deny the fact that she expected to see him, it was his house too anyway. Maybe that was why she wore a more noticeable shade of pink lipgloss or why she picked out this particular outfit.

She walked in, and was instantly enveloped with the smell of good cooking. From where she was standing, she could clearly see that it was Chris in the kitchen and he was shirtless. After flipping the pancakes on the skillet, he turned to face whoever he just invited into their home. And it was safe to say that he was surprised, but not in a bad way.

He started to apologize, "Um- I had absolutely no idea you were visiting today. I would have been more decent." He gestured to his body. "Is it to work on the project?" He knew that wasn't why she was here, she'd have informed him. Besides, they had both agreed to work on it at Miracle's house.

Miracle slowly shook her head, internally cursing Charis for not telling her that her brother was going to be making breakfast with nothing but a pair of sweatpants on. His skin was glistening due to the heat of the kitchen that made him sweat a little, he had bed hair and Miracle thought he looked adorable with it. But his body? It was emminent that he was no stranger to the gym. 

"I'm going out with Charis." She was doing her thing again, looking down at her feet when things get awkward. Miracle didn't know when or how she developed the trait but she found it useful.

She berrated herself when she saw the disappointment in his face and demeanor. Maybe, just maybe they could hang out a little before Charis comes. The idea of breakfast sounded pleasant to Miracle, after all, all she had was a small bowl of corn flakes and an apple and Chris noticed, he always does. Ordinarily, he was observant but when he comes to Miracle, he was extra-observant.

He told her to take a seat at the kitchen island. He filled a plate with fresh pancakes, sausages, and an American-style omelette. He slid a glass of cold orange juice to her too.

Miracle could not help but smile up at him, her palm covering her mouth. It was her way of thanking him.

"I'm going to put a shirt on now. Enjoy your meal." He disappeared into the stairs, then came back a few minutes later with a plain  black t-shirt on.

Only a few minutes later, Charis walks down the stairs casually as if Miracle hadn't just spent half an hour waiting for her.

"I see you've made yourself comfortable." Charis said to her best friend who was scrolling on her phone, hunched over at the kitchen island.

"Oh, shut up." Miracle laughed. "You do worse at my house. You even send packages to be delivered there."

"That was one time." She rolled her eyes, huffing. "I didn't want my Mom to find out that I bought new shoes."

"How are your parents?" Miracle

"Same old, same old. They're not home now, though."

"Yeah, I figured. Is that why Chris made breakfast?"

"Ugh, I hope he didn't poison you." She rushed quickly to the kitchen to inspect what her brother made.

"It was actually delicious." Miracle said, what made her instantly defend Chris, she didn't know but she just felt like she had to.

"Okay, let's talky, more walky. Out we go, hurry up!"

AUTHOR'S NOTE
I know, I know. This is a relatively short chapter but I've been extremely busy with my final exams in secondary school. This is also a filler chapter and like a foreshadowing for what's to come. Hehe. <3