Chapter 32: The Indecisive Heart

Mulai dari awal

"Good morning Pattrick."

His smile grew and he looked dapper in his neat black and white suit. He tipped his black hat courteously.

"A good morning to you too Miss Vannessa."

I laughed and gave him a pointed look.

"I told you to call me Vannessa Pattrick. No need for any formality."

He chuckled in reply as he shut the door after I was well acquainted inside the lavish limo and jogged to the driver's side of the long vehicle.

I took deep breaths to calm my growing nerves. I just have a feeling that today will be a long day.

-

***_***_***_***

My first few classes of the day were boring and uneventful. They were filled with teachers issuing lengthy classwork, droning on and on about homework and stressing about how we should prepare for the exams that were coming up.

I was walking down the hallway when I heard some girls gossiping with their hands covering their lips.

They were trying to hide but it was blatant who they were talking about as they kept their eyes on me.

How slick.

I rolled my eyes, too exhausted to say anything. The pain in my head was incessant and very annoying. They giggled as I passed before tramping down the hallway in the opposite direction to where I suppose is the lunchroom-since it was lunchtime.

Since I arrived at school this morning, I have been getting a few weird looks from people. But that had become marginally normal for me ever since Wilma and Dontae started helping me to change little things about myself.

I sighed and placed my books in my locker before slamming the door shut and heading to the cafeteria.

I was feeling a bit hungry. Maybe if I ate something then this headache would be a distant memory.

I was close to the cafeteria entrance but before reaching the two large doors that were always wide open, I stopped at the sound of a familiar voice.

"Dude you need to stop fooling around with my girl."

My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

"If you're that insecure then maybe you shouldn't be in a relationship?"

That voice was also very familiar.

What's going on?

I hauled my body to the two large doors until I passed the cafeteria's entrance and that's when realization kicked in. The scene before me was definitely not what I had expected to be bombarded with.

"You beat up my friend you asshole!"

"Why don't you ask him why I beat his ass you idiot!"

Oh no.

This was not happening.

Any thoughts of food were discarded and I rushed to the middle of the cafeteria where the scene was taking place.

As I reached, I saw Sean throw himself at Dontae. But Dontae was quick and dodged him before he lifted a fist to deliver a harsh blow at Sean's face.

"Guys stop it!"

I jumped in-between the two riled up boys who towered menacingly over me. I tried not to focus on the crowd surrounding me so as to not stir up the anxiety that was knocking on the back door of my subconscious.

Dontae and Sean were sizing each other up like they were a pair of wild dogs defending their prey.

I glanced at Sean. But his eyes were trained on Dontae. My head snapped in Dontae's direction and his eyes flitted to me. In that brief moment of eye contact, a large arm flew past my face.