»»» 𝔳𝔦𝔦.𝔦𝔦𝔦

Start from the beginning

"I heard Pierce is going to be our Acting Director for the next few weeks."

Truth's head shot up.

"Fury's not here?"

"Well, he is for now, but not for long."

Natasha didn't get a chance to learn why this was a pressing issue for Truth because, as they were talking, one of the sparring pairs nearby accidentally sent a wooden pole flying into a towering display of practice knives. Reflexively, Natasha managed to pull a trainee aside, catching the wayward pole before it could collide with his head.

Even as she braced herself, ready to extend her protection to those around her in lieu of the falling weaponry, she looked up only to find the knives held suspended in the air around them, some hovering mere moments before disaster.

Truth stood with her right hand extended, ensuring her hold was steady before turning an incisive stare on the two individuals almost responsible for a number of injuries. The woman who spoke with Truth also stared glaringly at the pair.

"The only thing impressive here is your apparent ability to somehow endanger every person in this room," the woman said sternly.

Behind her, Natasha noticed Truth's subtle recoil at the words and frowned.

The woman then gestured to trainees with a nod.

"What are your names?"

"Mullen," answered the young man.

"Garcia," said the girl in a guilty tone.

"And, what do you have to say for yourselves?"

The man immediately began pointing fingers.

"That wasn't on me. It's not my fault she doesn't know how to hold a fucking staff—"

"Watch your mouth," the older agent snapped. "You two are partners—you're supposed to be working together, not against each other. We don't give out blame. Did you make any effort to teach her, Mullen?"

The young man did not respond.

Natasha silently made her way through the crowd, weaving expertly with the staff in hand.

"Look around the room," Truth intervened softly. "Think about what would've happened here if I or Agent May or Agent Romanoff weren't here."

Garcia looked up from the floor then, her gaze traveling around the room, taking in every detail until her eyes rested on Natasha, who was now beside her.

Natasha offered her the pole.

"Thank you," Garcia said to her.

"You're welcome. Next time...?"

Natasha only gave her a look that conveyed a few dozen words. The woman nodded in understanding.