Demi | Chapter 5

I awoke with a start as my alarm buzzed relentlessly against the wooden bedside table. I reached over, lifted my phone, and pressed the stop button. Like a crashing wave encompassing me, I remembered everything I saw and felt. Not wasting time, I grabbed my journal and pen, writing every detail and experience I remembered. My hand paused as I got to the garden party scene when I remembered the young man warning me of the threat my dreams posed. Tossing the book aside, I reached for my laptop in the bottom drawer of the dresser.

While waiting for the laptop to turn on, I groaned impatiently, but as soon as the lock screen appeared, my fingers swiftly flew across the keyboard. I found the website I'd learned most of my information on and scrolled down quickly to the comment section while anxiously biting my lip. I paused at the third comment, the negative comment left by Kyle. Expanding his profile picture, I examined his face.

"Oh, shit."

It was the same man I'd just witnessed in my dream get captured and sucked out of existence. He had the same scar on his eyebrow, the same face shape and hair colour. It was undoubtedly him. I chewed my bottom lip, mulling the information over. It was said that you dream of people you'd seen that day. It's very possible that when I saw his picture yesterday, I somehow remembered it in my subconscious and brought him to life in my dream world. Not thinking more of it, I discarded the laptop and completed my journal entry.

Just as I promised, I called Claudia and filled her in on every detail.

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe it worked!" she squealed. I pulled the phone away from my ear, wincing at the ungodly pitch. "I mean, I knew it would, but still."

I chuckled, "Yeah well, unfortunately for you, you will never get to see it. How about you take your own advice and try it out for yourself?"

Claudia sighed down the phone, "I have, multiple times. I'm tired of having boring dreams, or ones I can barely remember."

I shrug, despite knowing she can't see me. "Maybe it's not all that it's cracked up to be. I don't always wake up feeling refreshed. Especially if something completely insane happens."

"Yeah, maybe you're right." A faint voice calls her in the background, followed by a quick, "I'll call you later."

"Bye," I said, already pulling my laptop back into my lap.

I decided to do some internet detective work or, as other people would say, "Stalking" on this Kyle. Clicking on his profile, it opened up to his connected Facebook page. I snorted. It had been a while since I'd seen someone actively use the platform, let alone bother to post birthday messages on it. His full name was Kyle Walker, born in London and lives in Essex.

Scrolling through his account, which he didn't bother to put on private, it was easy to see he was also an avid poster and community member on Reddit. He belonged to a thread called 'Lucid Dreaming' not much unlike the webpage Claudia had found me.

I scrolled through the stories and queries, searching until Kyle's username came up, at least I assumed it was his username, Kyleluciddreaming. His last thread was just over sixteen hours ago.

nor'I'm being chased in my dreams. These guys feel legit. Every night for the last week when I've fallen asleep, they've been there. Unassuming at first, they blend into your dreams, then bam, they're throwing electric-like nets at you. Normally I can get out of situations easily, but this feels real. The guy missed me by a hair's breadth and I felt the electricity. It's no joke. I changed my landscape three times, and he was still after me. Does anyone know what to do?'

I looked in his comment section, feeling numb and cold as I read on.

Don't let them catch you, dream hop if you can. Think of a door. It'll lead you into the nearest dream and hide. Blend in, find your disguise.