Picking Up the Pieces

Bard stood at the edge of camp, watching the carrion-birds pick over the dead in the early light. It was a gruesome image, and not one he would have before chosen to focus on, but then again... He had never lived through such a battle before. He ached in ways he hadn't known to ache, and his heart was bruised from the constant fear for his children.

His children were safe. Strong Sigrid. Brave Bain. Sweet little Tilda. All safe.

Such was his preoccupation, however, that he became aware, quite suddenly, that another had joined him without his notice.

Bard would have jumped, but he was too tired for such sudden movement. It wasn't hard to recognize the still and silent figure by his side. He hadn't seen much of the Elvenking since the battle, and he wasn't sure why Thranduil would seek him out now. But seek him he had, and found him he had, and so Bard would wait to see why.

Except Thranduil did not speak. He stood, watched, and waited. After a time, Bard found himself studying the elf instead.

Gone was the armor, and in its place Thranduil wore simple robes the color of mulberry wine. The robes held a high collar and came to a narrow point over Thanduil's breast. His hair, which normally flowed over his shoulders, was split to lie over his chest, and he wore no crown but a thin line of silver. Bard could not see Thanduil's hands, as they were each tucked into the opposite sleeve, but he would bet those elegant hands were missing their heavy rings.

It was strange to see the Elvenking thus. To any who approached, Thranduil would appear as aloof as ever, yet Bard knew differently. After so little time, Bard could see how thin a line connected Thranduil to the now.

"So many dead," Thranduil said suddenly, his deep voice rolling across the misty ground. Bard almost thought he could see the path it took in disturbed fog.

"Aye," Bard said. He did not yet know the full count, but he knew his people. There were faces that should be there, faces that had survived the dragon, that he no longer saw.

"How do you mortals do it?" Thranduil asked. "I have lived ages in my forest, and have lost much in that time. There are moments when I can barely breathe from the weight of it. How do you do it?"

Bard looked out over the field again. "We just do," he said. "What other options do we have? We fall, we break, we get up, we rebuild."

Thranduil didn't respond, but he did not turn to leave until Bard made to go.

~*~

Thorin, it seemed, was quite as enamored with the Lady Galadriel's presence as Gimli had been. It had been quite gratifying to see his eyes, so long narrowed in grief and anger, concern, and determination, widen so far. Dwalin, who had stiffened at the sight of her, was not quite so smitten, refusing to move from his position by Thorin's side and greeting her with little more than a harsh grunt. Gimli had closed his eyes and counted to calm his temper at the slight against his Lady, but Galadriel took it in stride easily enough. She bowed to Thorin in the dwarven way, showing him his due respect as a king, and Dwalin's glare was a slight less sour than before.

"Much have I heard of you, Thorin Oakenshield," Galadriel said. "Your skill carries your name far."

Thorin nodded back to her as best he could—poor Bilbo had gone quite starstruck, and seemed disinclined to speak. Dain, meanwhile, had lain next to Thorin, still shirtless and with his great arms folded behind his head, penning him in. His eyes were closed, and if it weren't for a certain tilt of his head, a tension in his frame, Gimli would have thought him sleeping.

"I am sure it has," Thorin said. "But I have traveled too far to put much stock in tales that travel such distance."

"And yet your far-traveling has earned you much wisdom," Galadriel said, and, to Gimli's surprise, sat upon the stool Óin vacated. She should have looked awkward, folded in on herself, but she managed to make the position look graceful. Gimli wondered, briefly, if she ever looked anything but—even in her fury on the battlefield, he knew the awesome power she could wield.