In The Halls of the Elvenking

Gimli woke briefly when the Healer first put her hands on him. He had been stripped of his tunic, and her hands burned where they touched his cold skin. Someone was swearing in khudzul, he could hear it distant to his ears. As the elven magic took hold, and he felt the pain recede, he realized it was his own self, and he gasped.

"Le fael," he choked out, mind dizzy and fading once more. "Le fael," Le fael..."

~*~

Legolas took a deep breath, pausing outside his father's throneroom. He smoothed his hands over his braids—still his bonding braids. He was getting better, but Gimli was right. They were still a fright. That wouldn't help his case, he knew, but there was nothing for it.

"Better done quickly," said the Gimli in his mind. "And quit fretting! He dotes on you and you know it."

"Aye," Legolas said quietly. "And I hate to use it. My father deserves better."

"Legolas," Thranduil called. "Do not hover so!"

Legolas stepped into the room. His father was still draped over his throne, one leg crossed over the other. He held a glass of wine loosely in one hand, the other pressed long fingers to his forehead. Thranduil's frustration was palpable.

"Ada?" Legolas asked.

"The Valar save me from Dwarves," Thranduil said, voice dry. He drained his glass and peered at his son. It was obvious Thranduil had been drinking, and for some time.

"They are known for their stubbornness," Legolas said, and wished for his husband's silver tongue. Legolas had never developed the disposition for diplomacy. "And pride, and both are justly deserved."

Thranduil made an ungraceful sound. "It will lead to the destruction of us all, if it is not stopped."

"A greater Shadow is rising," Legolas said, and refused to look away. "If the dragon is not dealt with, it will lead to an even greater doom." If the enemy had an ally with Smaug—even a small dragon is a dragon, and Mithrandir's fear was now his own.

Thranduil's eyes glittered in the darkness. "You are young yet, my son. Though you have only seen the wrath of lesser beasts, it is still terrible. There is no greater doom left in Middle Earth ."

"You do not believe that," Legolas said, "and have not since the Spiders returned to the forest. The paths of my dreams oft took me to a darkness in the south, an ancient evil with a new face. The Shadow is growing in strength, and Smaug is too great a threat to leave be. The dwarves march at Mithrandir's prompting—"

"Oh, Mithrandir," Thranduil snapped, and stood abruptly, stalking down the stairs. "The grey wizard's fingers are all over this, I should have known. Thorin Oakenshield is too smart to attempt the mountain on his own, but dumb enough to give in when prompted. It reeks of that wizard."

"He is wise—"

"He is a troublemaker," Thranduil said. He stopped near Legolas, looking down at him. "And how have you come by this knowledge?"

Legolas stood a little taller. "Gimli told me."

"Gimli," Thranduil repeated, face smoothing. "And which is Gimli? The fat one? Angry one? Or the child they brought with them on this foolish quest?" He made a dismissive sound. "That they would endanger the life of a child so—"

"You think they have a choice?" Legolas snapped. "You know as well as I the devastation of Erebor's fall, how slow they are to recover. Gimli would not be with them if the need was not so dire!"

"You defend them," Thanduil said, mild, and Legolas fell silent. How much had he given away. "How strange, that this dwarf should spark such fire in you." Thranduil began to pace, walking around Legolas, who held himself still.