fifteen

15. Gone Girl

"She is brilliant" a shocked Damon whispered, after Brayden finished explaining what he and Caroline had discovered to both his brothers.

"We haven't noticed that Katherine's been inhabiting Kaitlynn's body for week and that's all you have to say?" Stefan asked his oldest brother.

"Yep" Damon simply said.

"He's in shock" Brayden told Stefan, "Because he's finally realising that it wasn't Kaitlynn who broke up with him, it was Katherine".

"Mm-hm" Damon mumbled.

"Right, so your little murder spree with Enzo where you killed Aaron, you nearly killed Jeremy, tried to kill Wes but got infected with that ripper virus that was all you reacting to Katherine" Stefan pointed out.

"Remind you of old times, Damon?" Brayden teased.

Damon glared at his twin, "I'm trying to figure out why you decided to tell a starving, bloodthirsty, vampire feeding ripper that his nemesis is still walking around alive and well while I'm stuck in this cell and can't do anything about it".

"Relax, don't get your boxers into a twist" Brayden said, "I have everything in control".

"I'd love to hear this" Damon said, not believing that his brother had this under control.

***

"Hang on here, Katherine's still alive?" a shocked Matt asked, as him, Tyler and Fae sat in the Salvatore's library while Caroline told them what her and Brayden had figured out, "How is that even possible?".

"Remember that time Nadia's ex, Gregor, hitched a ride in your head?" Caroline reminded, "Okay, well, it's kind of the same thing, Katherine is a passenger in Kaitlynn, except it's worse, because none of us seem to notice".

"She was at my house" Tyler pointed out, "How did none of us not figure it out?".

"Because it's Katherine" Caroline stated, "And she's smart and conniving and sneaky and--", Caroline let out a frustrated sigh, "And we're the worst friends ever".

"This makes no sense" Jeremy said, his voice coming through Caroline's phone that was placed on the table, "She saved my life, she gave me CPR when Enzo tried to kill me, Katherine would never do that".

"But Kaitlynn would" Fae pointed out, "That's what made Katherine and Kaitlynn so different, Katherine would let you die but Kaitlynn would never, and if Katherine wanted her performance to be believable she kind of had no choice but to save your life".

"I was sleeping three feet away from her" a frustrated Caroline said, as Brayden and Stefan entered the room, "She picked my bitter ball dress, and I let her use my toothpaste".

"Don't forget the main thing" Brayden said, walking over to the Forbes vampire and sitting on the armrest of the couch she was sitting on, "She lured your soulmate into a motel room and then tried to make out with him".

"Wait, wasn't she the reason you thought Caroline didn't want to be with you?" Tyler asked Brayden.

Both Caroline and Brayden's eyes went wide when they realised Tyler was right, "I thought she had misheard me" Caroline whispered.