Plotted

KARNA

Maybe because of the environment I was raised in, I stand humbly and loyal more to the peace and prosperity of my motherland than for myself. Even when I know things are not to my advantage, I try to look at the positive side. Even if I suffer a little more, will it benefit the people?

This maybe the reason why I am standing here silently, while the family is in shock and confusion. Oh, and Draupadi, she also stands silently next to me.

"Why would he make such decision? What will happen to my sons now?" My mother cries.

Kakashree Vidur hung his head in shame, he did not make any decision but being tied to the thrown, he becomes a part of the king.

"Tell me!" My mother demands.
"Bhabhishree, I think maharaj wants Karna to take care of Khandavprasth as a Yuvraj of Hastinapur. That's why he wants Karna to go there soon. He thinks the place needs development." Kaka Vidur answers her.

My mother takes the anger out on him, "Are you here as an uncle to my children or minister of the king?"

But Kaka Vidur is a smart man, "Right now, I am the minister of Hastinapur. That's why I will deliver the decision of the king which is that Karna goes to Khandavprasth to develop the land the next day he is crown as the Yuvraj."

My mother turns her head away in disagreement.
Kaka Vidur continues, "But I am still an uncle, and I will tell my nephew how to turn this into an opportunity."

His words make all of us turn to him.

"You have to go to Khandavprasth. It is decided and I know you won't refuse." He says to me. "So when you go there, make sure of one thing. You take care of the place properly, appoint ministers fast and then come back soon. 6 of you can keep going in rotation. And its not like you will stay there for long. Comeback in a month or two."

Unsatisfied, Bheem protests, "Kakashree, you know very well that if Bhratashree is away from here then someone has to fulfil the role of Yuvraj and they will make Duryodhaan do it. They are trying to mark a way for Duryodhaan to be the next king."

I have nothing against Duryodhaan but I have learned to not defend him in situations like this. I am sure he didn't make this plan, it's the King. Who can blame a father trying to make way for his son?

"That is why, you guys should not go with him. The king has ordered only for Karna to go. While he is away, you 5 should carry out the duties here in his name so that the people remember him. Not only the people, the King also needs a reminder that even if something bad happens to Karna, he has a family to continue his line." Kaka Vidur sounds determine.

Yudhistir should have just shut up but he obviously doesn't. "Brothers are not heirs. We cannot think of the throne while our brother is well. And if something does happen, we will guide his son and protect the throne for him."

Our mother laughs , sarcastically, "It seems my sons has not learned enough. Jyesth is sitting on the throne of his late brother and now he wants to pass it down to his own son. So yes, brothers are also heir to the throne and they might be having the advantage now."

"What do you mean?" Bheem ask.

My mother turns to Draupadi and me, "Any news you two want to share with me?"

Not getting any answer from us, she turned her head away. "You two don't know how much responsibility you two carry. Remember that you are the head of this family, Karn."

I stand still.
"Don't let anyone suspect anything. Can you two at least do that? Can you act like a happy couple for few days?" She look at us again with those anxious eyes.

It took sometime discussing how things should work out. I was pissed when matashree kept talking about my marriage but seeing her anxious and scared I can understand a little of why she became like that. The plan doesn't sound bad either in fact I am a little excited but I try not to show and went to meet the ministers.

It was late night when I came to sleep. Draupadi was already sleeping but something is different. Instead of sticking to her side she seems to be sleeping comfortably in the centre of the bed, her face turning on my side.. I try to be as quiet as possible and got on my side. As I try to settle down she opens her eyes softly. "Sleep" I tell her softly. Finding herself very close to me she looks confused but the sleepiness in her slows her down.
A sudden urge to embrace her swept over me, and I gave in to the urge and pull her in my arms. It got too quiet. She doesn't move an inch, I couldn't dare to look at her. I stare blindly at the wall, my arms wrapped around her. My heart starts racing, wondering if that was too much. I feel her breathing on my chest so I look at her. She had fallen asleep, must have been very tired today. I took it as a compliment. I took it as she found my embrace very comfortable that she slept. That she feels safe with me.

(A short update🥹)