Reasons And Bet

KARNA

My study room is just a study room now. The small bed was removed. Words do travel fast in palace. Pitamah must have got to know from one of the guards that I was not coming here. I did not want this to be happening but I got no choice. I promised Vrushali a royal life. She was my childhood friend. She always wanted to be a queen I had promise her to make one if I ever become a king. Even though I am the eldest I still wasn't sure if I could become the Yuvraj and I could not marry her while I am just a prince. When Pitamah told me to participate in this swayamvar I had no choice. Vrushali, however sad, found a silver lining that if my marriage is done my rajasugya will be held and I will officially be the next king. She asked me to be in a namesake marriage with Draupadi. 

Arjun got to know about this plan on the day we returned Hastinapur and came to me, I confirmed him. He confessed his love for Draupadi and said he cannot see her like that. He requested me to at least release her from the marriage after some time in a way she can marry again. Me and Arjun are not very close and this is the first time he is coming to me as a brother so it meant a lot to me. I wonder if Arjun wishes to marry her if we get separated. Well, if I can find a way to release her then I can also find a way to marry them. 

I was rude to Draupadi on the night we were supposed to share the room for the first time. I didn't intend to be but my words came out harsh, it might be for good. She won't bear any hopes now. Duryodhaan and Aswathama also got to know even through they never confronted me since its a delicate matter. 

I went to the bedroom late at night. The door was open and I find Draupadi sitting on the bed, talking with the lady. The lady goes out face. Both of us stay silent for a min. "She is Malini, my lady in waiting." She breaks the silence. I just nod my head. 

"I will sleep here tonight." I tell her a moment. "Oh!" she says. 

"Let's sleep." I tell her and blows off some diyas so that it won't be too dark. She turns the other side when I climb the bed. No matter how much I deny, It is a fact that she is gorgeous. Even from the back, she looks beautiful. She doesn't move a bit to make me think she's sleeping.

I turn the other side to make her feel comfortable and wonder what will happen if the separation harms her badly. I don't realise when I fell asleep but I think I sleep good.

Duryodhaan and Yudhisthir had started loving gambling these days. Mama Shakunee had started it but he was sent back to Gandhar and these two amateurs now thinks they know masters in the game. They came to my chamber to play with Aswathama, Bhanu and Dussasan, its been sometimes since we last played.

"I'll be on your side." Bhanu says to Duryodhaan.

"Okay then its you and Bhratashree Karn on my side against Bhratashree Yudhisthir and Aswathama." Duryodhaan gets confident.

Yudhisthir laughs, he knows he is better than Duryodhaan. Aswathama, still clearly angry with me is happy to be not on the same team as I.

"As always, let's not bet on anything and just play for fun." Yudhisthir lays out the rule.

Draupadi sits silently on a chair, Bhanu had dragged her out of the room. I don't remember when I feel asleep yesterday and today morning when I woke up she wasn't there. She came back after I was done with my morning prayer. The room became too awkward I had to  hide in my study.

"Bhabhishree, why don't you join? Then it will be 3 against 3." Dusassan suggests.

Draupadi smiles but refuses, "I will just watch. It's fine you join."

"I can't. As soon as I was born, Rishivar Vyas had warn that I should not even touch the dice. Matashree had made me swear." Dusassan tells her. We were also told not to make Dusassan sit with us because Rishivar said he might fall for temptation.