Unusual First Night

DRAUPADI

The ceilings are high and windows big. The curtains looks of different fabric but then again, what do I know. I was born a maiden and was taught only the things a married life would need. I just started getting comfortable in Kampiliya but here I am in Hastinapur as a new bride. As soon as we reach Hastinapur we met jyest pitashree and mata gandhari along with those who could not attend the wedding in Kampiliya. It was hectic but finally its over. The helpers along with my lady-in-waiting ready me for my wedding night. I won't say I am very thrill but I am relieve. The only person I am familiar with in this new Kingdom is my husband and I will get to spend time with him. 

I don't know much about his personality but anything. I was prepared to marry his brother Rajkumar Arjun as per my father's wish but fate had another plan. He lifted the bow that failed greatest of the kings and shot the fish in the eye. 'Rajkumar Karna' my brother had told me his name when he stood up from his seat. I saw the veins in his arms popping as he lift the bow. His face however remained emotionless and I too suppressed my smile. Tonight I will ask him why he looked so uninterested in the swayamvar. He didn't speak a word to me the entire time but Malini, my lady-in-waiting says he must just be shy. 

"Don't tie my hair." I stop Malini. "I am having headache." If I tie my hair for long I get headache, especially with all this ornament and now the chudamani too. 

She laughs and starts partitioning my hair in parts to braid it, "Its my duty to decorate your hair, your husband can open it. A married woman has to keep her hair tied."

Before I could respond to her a voice echoes the room. "No need." I can see my husband's reflection on the mirror in front of me. 

Malini keeps her head down and goes away with the servants fast, leaving only the two of us. 

I stood up and goes to him, I was told to touch the feet of my husband when he enters the room. But his words stops me. "I am here to tell you that I cannot accept you." I look at him in puzzled and he continues, "I cannot accept you. You can neither be my wife nor my queen. You don't need to follow any of the rules, keep your hair open as much as you want. Its a shame we are in this situation and I will do my best to free you soon. Live the life you always lived. Don't expect anything from me,  I can never be yours."

He breaths out in relief, seems he's been holding in the words for long. I was too stunned to speak. The first word I hear from my husband is that he cannot accept me?

I cover myself with the odhini, my blouse seems too revealing all of a sudden. "Then why marry me?" I ask.

"It was a political marriage. You cannot be unaware of this kind of situation." He says, looking around the room, avoiding my eyes, or me. "There are many princesses who are just there for namesake, to unite kingdoms."

I scoff, "But I won't accept it. I won't live like that. I am.."

His words cut me off, "Yes, am aware. The egoistic princess of Kampiliya. You must be thinking you are better than anyone, even if others go through the same thing, you won't because you are better than everybody." 

"You cannot take the meaning of my words like that." I say.

"Sorry, your highness. You must be bigger than this marriage or me, or our kingdoms. You are in for a big surprise because it doesn't work like that here." He stares me down.

KARNA

I don't know what I was saying actually. I didn't want to be like this but the situation forces me. Vrushali is waiting for me, Arjun wanted to marry Draupadi and most importantly, she wanted to marry him. I have heard a lot of things about her and words on the street is that she is very quick to anger. It must be because of her ego. 

She scoffs, rolling her eyes, "You are the one who thinks like that, Rajkumar. You are the one who is coming here telling me you cannot accept a marriage which was apparently for the sake of kingdoms. I don't know you but I heard you were raise very humbly, that you are a danveer. If this is the best prince Hastinapur can offer then I don't want to meet the rest."

I have no words and just stare at her. If she had reacted differently then maybe I would have felt bad but her words challenges me. Not just her words but her face too, she seemed to not affect that I am not accepting her.

She turns her back to me and walks away. Her hand stretches, collecting her hair falling on her back, revealing the strings of her blouse. "I know what I am taught, which isn't much. But I will do my duty even if it doesn't mean anything to you. Don't think much about it. You do what you can do to free us from this marriage, I don't have much power there. But if I am going back, I will go back with the respect and pride I brought while coming here. I won't just go bringing shame to my father only because you are saying so." 

Such a beauty but her ego buries all. "As expected. I knew it will be easy for you. Others would have at least try to find out why and search for a way. Your words shows that the marriage means nothing to you as well." 

Before I could walk away she throws a copper vessel that was on the table. It hit my chest. I stand amuse at her audacity. The vessel rolls on the floor. 

"What do you expect? That I will fall on my knees and ask what I have done wrong? I would have if you weren't so rude to just come in and tell me I mean nothing. I am still here only because I cannot walk out." She breathes heavily. 

I wanted her to at least give me some respect. She had not spoken to me ever. I knew she didn't want to marry me but she's here only because she cannot walk out? And what did she mean by I was raised humbly? Did she mean I am not qualify to be a prince? I look that vessel again and walks out.