twenty two - moonrise towers

When I awoke the next morning, though it was hard to tell what time of day it was, it wasn't to the sound of any birds. It was to the feeling of the sheets and blankets moving over my skin, soft and silky. There were hands reaching up to caress my skin, fingers delicate and attentive...

"Astarion," I sighed, rolling over onto my stomach. The hands paused for a moment, and then resumed their attentions- now on my back. His cool breath was upon my skin then, moments before his lips were- trailing slow kisses over my bare skin.

"Good morning, beautiful," he said, nipping lightly by my hip. I yelped and squirmed against him, but he pinned me there. "We have to depart soon, but..."

"But? And good morning to you, too," I said, struggling a little against his grip.

Astarion placed another tender bite at the top of my shoulder, leaning over me, dragging his teeth down lightly over my skin for a short ways. I shivered and dug my fingers into the mattress and sheets beneath me.

"But we could have just a little fun before we go," he whispered. One wandering hand made its way between my thighs, his fingertips teasing me there.

"Astarion!" I hissed quietly, though the touch felt incredible. I felt a fool for even thinking of attempting to discourage him.

He only hummed in response against my skin, trailing kisses slowly down along my spine. I shifted a little, my heart beating quicker in my chest. Where was he going with those kisses? Another light nip at my hip, and then his hands tenderly shifted me onto my back again. Mischief danced in his eyes, and he slowly lowered himself between my legs.

"Astarion-" I started, but the words died off at the intensity in his gaze. Silent communication: let me do this. He blinked slowly, and turned his attention to my knee.

Astarion placed soft, slow kisses there- taking his time as he trailed the kisses upward over my thigh. Briefly I remembered of when he had first offered to bite the inside of my thigh, when we were discussing positions. Was that his intention now? I still felt a little woozy from him biting me the other night.

His tongue darted out, dragging a long, lazy line up my thigh. A visible shiver ran through him as he tasted my skin. His eyes locked on mine, and I couldn't look away as he brought his mouth to me- not until his tongue had swirled around me in a way that made my head fall back against the pillow and my eyes roll to the back of my head. I wound my fingers through his hair, gripping tightly and unable to hold back the moans he stole from me.

Things were a little awkward at first when we regrouped and decided officially who was going to Moonrise. No one really wanted to make eye contact with the two who couldn't keep their hands off each other. At least Shadowheart still held conversation with me; though she made jokes about it at my expense and my cheeks burned.

The journey to Moonrise was nearly uneventful; there were a few scattered undead and wraiths to kill here and there, but otherwise we arrived relatively unharmed. It was the arriving that was intimidating- dark, and foreboding in a way that you'd only truly know by being there.

We slipped past the guards by pretending to be of the cult, of the Absolute, but that in and of itself was horrifying. We'd made it through- but now it was even more important not to get caught. We had to figure out what was making Ketheric immortal first.

And with horror, we watched as the goblins before him attempted to bring him harm, and he healed back together both times. As if never even touched to begin with. Then he demanded we seek out a relic for him.

Walking out of there almost felt illegal, like we shouldn't have made it out alive. But then we made it, and huddled together near the inn from before, we discussed the plan.

"What do we know of this relic?" Astarion asked, looking between Gale, Shadowheart, and I.

"I think it and the Nightsong are one and the same," Shadowheart said, her brows slightly furrowed but eyes wide.

"The relic that Aradin and his merry men were hunting?" I asked, shifting my gaze fully to her. She locked eyes with me and gave me a nod.

"I believe so," she replied. "This- this may be my chance to prove myself, to my lady Shar. I've been feeling signs all along."

"Are you certain?" Gale butt in, his brows raised. Shadowheart shifted her attention from me to him.

"As sure as I've ever been," she said grimly. Gale swallowed and nodded.

"Then we go in and get it," Astarion said. "It's in the mausoleum, right? Let's head there now."

"Alright," I agreed. Gale and Shadowheart also nodded and murmured their agreements.

We broke free of our huddle, and turned in the direction of the mausoleum. A breeze rolled in, feeling as if it was dragging us along toward the mausoleum. I shivered as we started our way on up.