01 | The Black Jade

Start from the beginning

Lowering her foot, she had placed her foot down to the ground and watch the rock fall to the ground. She turned around to see a young man with his hair in a topknot. His dim, gold eyes, surprisingly, were not showing any ill will or malicious intent. He bent his knees and gave a smile, "What are you doing out here?" He asked her as she looked at him, her jade eyes showing fury. "I'm here to kill you and your general!" She spat, her anger not lessening. The man had rose an eyebrow, somewhat surprised at her bluntness. "And why would you want to do that? A child should not be murdering." He countered. "It you and the Fire Nation's fault that my dad was forced to commit suicide!" Daiyu was not enthused by the man's act of kindness. The man's expression had definitely changed, his mouth forming a frown. "So you're the General's daughter?" He had asked as she looked at him with glaring eyes. "Yes, he was my Papa." Daiyu clenched her teeth, blinking away her tears.

"Lu Ten? What are you doing outside?" The Fire Nation General had exited the tent and went around, seeing Lu Ten and the child. "Aren't you-" Daiyu immediately pointed her finger at the man, "It's you! You who Papa surrendered to!" She screamed, the Fire Nation soldiers hearing her and now circling around her with weapons in their hands. "Lower your weapons. She is just a child." Iroh had said to them, the soldiers lowering their spears, swords, and any weapon that they had in their hands. Daiyu had looked around, her heartbeat was fast and she could feel the fear creeping down her throat as she swallowed. "Your father surrendered to protect you and knew he could not win the war. He did the right thing." Lu Ten had looked at his father who explained, trying to reason with the child even though they both knew there was no reasoning with a grieving child. "If it was the right thing then why was he ordered to kill himself?!" Her eyes were filled with tears, her hands bawled into fist. "Because your King is a coward. Your father was an excellent general. He did not deserve to meet such an end."

Daiyu's bottom lip quivered, "...Papa...." She shook her head and began to cry. Lu Ten had placed a hand on the girl's shoulder and she looked at him from the corner of her eyes, "You said he was your only parent, right?" Lu Ten had asked her as she nodded her head. "Papa was all I had." Lu Ten had looked at his father who closed his eyes. "You don't have any family left, do you?" Daiyu shook her head, her head lowering as her bangs covered her forehead. She had nobody left... "Let her stay with us. We are the reason that her father had passed. She's a child, she cannot be left alone." The General then spoke, "But father, we're in the middle of war." Lu Ten tried to reason. "General Iroh, she's a Ba Sing Se civilian. We have not one reason to take care of her. This is war and she is an enemy." Iroh had glared at the man at the corner of his eyes, "She's a little girl who is homeless. It was not my intention for the General to have to commit seppuku. She is not an enemy, she is a child. This war has nothing to do with her. Yes, casualties are abound but I feel in my right that I should take responsibility." Daiyu appeared confused, unsure what all of this had really meant.

Iroh had then went on one knee and looked in Daiyu's eyes, his smile warm and friendly. "You will be safe under my care. It is my fault that your father is dead. I do not expect you to forgive me, but I will provide for you." He held out his large hand. She looked down at it, her eyes reading her confusion. She wanted to hate him, in fact she still did, but she had nowhere to go and vengeance was impossible. She was ten-years-old and surrounded by a Fire Nation army of expert Firebender and fighters. What chance did she stood? If she had gone with the general, she would be able to eat and be safe but was it worth it? Daiyu stood there, still unsure. Her mind could not register if it was the right thing or not. She looked at his outstretched hand and then back up at him as he still smiled. Slowly and hesitantly, her small hand had grabbed onto it. Iroh had then given her a handshake as to confirm his words as promise. Lu Ten smiled and followed after his father as he led her to the main tent.

The main tent was large as Daiyu looked around, her eyes scanning over everything. Everything in there was a shade of red and everything Fire Nation was about. Daiyu had let go of Iroh's hand and sat on a chair and looked down at the floor. She could begin to wonder how she even accepted his proposal of allowing him to take care of her. He was a Firebender and a Fire Nation general. He was evil in the eyes of everyone else in the world, but she felt that he was safe. That he could keep her safe. Lu Ten had gone inside the tent and gave her a smile. "So what are our plans for tomorrow?" He had asked his father." Iroh had then poured some tea from the kettle that was in the fireplace. He had walked towards Daiyu and handed her a tea cup. "It is very hot." He had told her, not ignoring Lu Ten. Daiyu had took the teaplate and teacup and looked down at the hot tea which had smelled good. She looked up at Iroh and Lu Ten who gave her a nod, urging her to drink some. "It's good. My dad makes the best tea." He had went on to say, giving his father a pat on the shoulder.