Fuck around and find out.

Start from the beginning

Salvatore boarding house.

Damon was drinking as he was thinking back on the conversation he had with Enzo.

Flashback the girls' birthday.

After they all watch as Enzo held Cassandra and they watch as her best friends dress her to put her to sleep.

Damon and Enzo were drinking bourbon.

Enzo looked like he wanted to hurt something or someone as he gripped the glass in his hands.

Damon decided to ask the question that had been bothering since he found out Enzo was alive.

" You know you never really talk about how you met Matilda and this undying loyalty you seem to have for her," he said as he took a drink of his bourbon.

Enzo let out a humorless laugh, his eyes dark with memories. "I didn't fully tell you what happened after you left me to die," he said, his tone lacking any accusation. Damon expression was a mix of shame and hurt, but he knew he couldn't blame Lucas he had indeed left him to face a fate worse than death.

Enzo continued, his voice raw with emotion. "Every day, those monsters cut me open, tortured me over and over again. I thought about giving up, letting the pain consume me." He paused, taking a shuddering breath. "But then, out of nowhere, this child appeared in front of my cage. I thought I was hallucinating, my broken mind playing tricks on me. But it was real. You ask why I have such undying loyalty to her, Jim? It's because she's everything. She's my savior, and now she's the one who needs saving.

Her emotions are consuming her, but I can't help her," Enzo admitted his voice heavy with frustration.

Damon looked at him thoughtfully. "Maybe we're not meant to help her deal with it, but rather help her unleash it," he suggested.

Enzo brow furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean?"

Damon leaned forward, his voice low and intense. "Have you ever noticed how she expresses her emotions more vividly when she's focused on a target? We just need to find the right target for her to unleash everything that's going on inside of her. To channel all that pent-up energy into something productive."

Enzo considered Damon words, a glimmer of hope lighting up his eyes. "You might be onto something, Damon. Maybe we've been going about this all wrong. Instead of trying to calm the storm, we help her control it and direct it towards a common enemy."

Damon nodded, a hint of a smile playing on his lips. "Exactly. If we can find the right outlet for Matilda's emotions, not only will we be helping her, but we could also turn the tide in our favor. After all, there's nothing more powerful than a force of nature."

End of flashback.

Damon mind snapped back to the present, leaving the memory of his conversation with Enzo behind. He found himself sitting in his dimly lit living room, a half-empty glass of whiskey clutched in his hand. The soft glow of a nearby lamp cast flickering shadows on the walls, mirroring the tumultuous thoughts churning within him.

He took a deep breath, trying to calm his racing heart. The weight of the past and the uncertainty of the future bore down upon him, and he felt the familiar ache of anxiety in his chest. The silence of the room was oppressive, broken only by the ticking of an old grandfather clock that seemed to mock him with each passing second.

Damon downed the rest of his drink, the burn of the alcohol doing little to dull the sharp edges of his emotions. He set the glass down with a clink, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. It was clear what he had to do next—find a way to help Matilda channel her emotions. He just hoped that he had the strength and the resolve to see it through.