i guess we take the highway to hell

En başından başla

i hadn't dreamed that.

i didn't have any activities that morning but i couldn't get back to sleep again - not after that gods-awful dream. i swung my legs out from under my covers. they were soft, white linen, with stitched patterns i'd embroidered on it. a cheery sun, cute flowers - stuff a young child would design when stuck with arts and crafts as her only activity. i grabbed my guitar - also decorated, painted with a swirling sun, a manta ray and a turtle, a few flowers dotted around - and sat back down on my bed, one leg crossed over the other.

i began strumming chords quietly, playing whatever notes came to me. c major, a minor, f major, c major. a beautiful melody flowed out of the instrument. i hummed along, adding another tone and harmonising with the song. 

i sat there for a while - letting the music take control and overflow. the unnamed song filled the room.

it was a sweet tune, but it had a melancholy undertone - almost bittersweet. i wondered where it came from  - wondered where i had drawn those emotions from, plucked those notes and chords from.

i heard a clopping sound at the door, a hoof knocking on the threshold.

i paused my playing. the silence was overpowering.

"come in?" i wondered who else would be awake at this time. how much of my song had they heard?

grover trotted inside, looking worried. "mr. d wants to see you."

"why?" i got up from my sitting position and placed my guitar back in its stand.

"...you'd better just come."

"o...kay? just let me get dressed."

i moved towards the bathroom at the back of the cabin, confused. "-just."

i turned back around to look at the satyr. "it's about percy."

a tense silence filled the cabin. we both knew this couldn't be anything good.

i gave grover a small nod, telling him i understood, and went to get changed quickly. i brushed my teeth and changed into one of lee's pink floyd tshirts and a pair of grey joggers. i tied my hair into a messy high ponytail and slipped on my superstars. 

i looked in the mirror - just to see my mom looking back at me. i was looking more and more like her everyday, except my eyes. everyone thinks I have blue eyes because apollo's my dad, but really, none of my siblings have the same eyes as me.

i had the same eyes as my great-grandma alexandria. i don't know where she got them from, but they were strikingly light blue, flecked with gold - unlike any other eye colour i had seen before.

i took a deep breath before leaving the bathroom and heading out of cabin 7 with grover.

over long island sound, the sky was a swirl of inky-black hues - like someone had grabbed a stick of charcoal and smudged it over the earth. a hazy curtain of rain was coming in our direction. a cold breeze blew through my large tshirt. i shivered. 

i wouldn't have worried about an umbrella - it never rained at camp unless chiron wanted it to - but something in the back of my mind told me chiron couldn't control this one. 

i mean, this storm was huge.

at the volleyball pit, most of my siblings were playing a morning game against the satyrs. castor and pollux were walking around in the strawberry fields, making the plants grow. everybody was going about their normal business, but they looked tense. they all kept a wary eye on the storm.

grover and i walked up to the front porch of the big house. dionysus sat at the pinochle table in his tiger-striped hawaiian shirt with his diet coke. classic. chiron sat across the table in his fake wheelchair. they were playing against invisible opponents - two sets of cards hovering in the air.