prologue

_

The nearly full moon was hanging high over the town of Beacon Hills as the Stilinski siblings were at home. Stiles, as usual, was in his bedroom looking for mischief to get into. He was always the first one to suggest a little bit of mischief.

His older brother had already given him several loving reminders that he was, in fact, an idiot for listening to a police scanner all night. A scanner that was tampered with to the extent of it picking up all 911 calls in Beacon County. Their father, who just so happened to be the sheriff, had no idea Stiles had done this. But there was no doubt that he would be far from thrilled if he were to find out.

The younger boy's response was no less sarcastic than usual, but it still elicited an eye roll from Parker. Asher, on the other hand, sat at the foot of her twin's bed and shook her head. The taste of trouble was addicting, creating an insatiable appetite that the oldest Stilinski sibling never understood. Maybe he never would, or maybe Asher and Stiles would one day have their brother just as wrapped up in the chaos that often followed in their wake.

She could feel her cell phone vibrating back to back in her back pocket, but she chose to ignore it. Part of her was wondering if listening to rationality would be a good idea, or if it was too late to change her mind. She knew that it was one of her friends calling, a friend that would likely try to talk her out of going with Stiles.

"You're not gonna answer it?" A voice questioned, earning an eye roll from the girl as she crossed one leg over the other.

"No."

"What if it was Isaac? I haven't heard much from him tonight."

Asher looked over at her best friend, who was seated next to her on her brother's bed as they all listened to the radio.

"His dad has him working late tonight, I think." she shrugged.

Harley shook his head, looking down at his lap sympathetically.

"One of these days he's gonna have your ass for doing stuff like this," Harley pointed out, quickly changing the subject as Stiles cranked up the volume. Parker nodded in agreement, hoping his younger brother would change his mind. For a moment, he thought about calling them all, along with himself, out. It wasn't uncommon for the three of them to stick their noses into things they had no business with when it came to their father. Most of the time Stiles was at the head of it all. Harley was just along for the ride, so much that he may as well have been a fourth sibling.

"Well, he hasn't found out yet—"

"Yet, Stiles, yet." she replied, a smirk befalling her glossy lips as she looked at her brother. Her phone vibrated again. Still, she left it alone.

"You say that like you're not involved, Harley." Stiles scoffed.

"I don't deny my involvement, the spying is just always your idea."

Stiles opened his mouth to speak when the static from his jerry-rigged police scanner cut him off.

"Beacon County Sheriff's Department, have a report of a body in the woods. Beacon Hills Preserve. Caller advised it looks to be a female in her mid to late twenties, caller also advised that only half of the body was found. Send out all available units. Time out seven fifty-eight."

The four of them all looked at one another, eyes wide with both terror and curiosity. Asher felt a quick sting in her fingers, as though she had been shocked by static electricity. She looked down at her hands and shook her head.