That Day

Third Person POV

Eren, Mikasa, and Armin sat on the boat as it took them the safety of the inner wall. Eren felt so weak, wishing that he could take back everything that he had said to his Mom. He walked to the edge of the boat, clutching the railing tightly as tears ran down his face. "I'm gonna put a stop to this! I'll kill them all. Every last one."

The outlier districts were declared a lost cause and everyone had to retreat behind Wall Rose. It was over crowded and humanity wouldn't be able to last like this.

Y/N POV

"Y/N stop fighting me! This will all make sense one day! You have to trust me!" "No! Stop!" I struggled in my father's grasp. He shoved a needle in my arm and everything goes fuzzy. "You have to help your brother. Protect Eren at all cost. You and your brother are the only hope for humanity." 

I jolted awake with sweat running down my face. I hurriedly walked to the bathroom and splashed my face with water. Finally calming down from my dream, I got dressed for the day in my uniform. I headed down to breakfast and was just about to sit down with Levi when Erwin stopped me, "Y/N, please come with me to my office." I gave him a confused look but followed anyways. We walked in and he closed the door behind him. "Y/N I am sorry to tell you this, but Shiganshina has fallen. It was breached by titans yesterday afternoon." I clutched onto the back of the chair as I stared hard at the floor. "What of my family?" I asked quietly, dreading the answer. "I don't know," he said. "Where were they taken? The survivors from Shiganshina?" I asked. "Just inside Wall Rose. At the refugee center. You can go there now and see if your family is there," He answered. "Thank you, Erwin," I said as I hurriedly exited the room. I ran to my room and gathered some of my things before going back to the dining hall. I grabbed a few things out of the kitchen for the journey and walked into the hall. I was about to get on my horse when a hand grabbed my arm. I turned to look at who it was and saw Levi. "What's wrong?" He asked sincerely. I finally processed the information and the tears fell from my eyes. "Shiganshina fell. T-titans breached the wall, I don't know if my family's alive," I said through my tears. " I-I'm going to the refugee center, to see if any of them survived." He pulled me into a hug and I gripped his shirt tightly. "I'll be here when you get back, whether they're alive or not," he said softly. He knew about your relationship with your family. So, either way, this would be a hard trip for you. "Thank you Levi. I'll be back tomorrow," I said breaking from his grasp. I mounted my horse and galloped out of the gate. 

Time skip brought to you by the Armored Titan's kill count

After riding through the day and only stopping to eat, I made it to the refugee center in a few hours. I jumped off my horse and walked her into the center. Ignoring the disgusted looks from the people, I walked over to the stables and put my horse in a stall. "What are you doing here, scout?" I heard someone ask from behind me. I turned and glared at the man from the garrison regiment. "What's it to you?" I asked him harshly. "Well, if it's government business-" "It's not, it's personal," I tell him with a glare. He stepped aside and I walked past him going to search for my family. I walked through the sea of people, trying to spot anyone that I recognized. I searched for what felt like an eternity and my hope was slowly flickering out. All the sudden I caught some movement from the corner of my eye, it looked like a child. I turned to look and saw Eren, Mikasa, and Armin sitting in the corner of a hallway, huddled together. "Eren!" I yelled as I sprinted towards him. He looked up at me and jumped up and ran towards me. I hugged knelt on the ground and hugged him tight, afraid I would lose him if I let go. "I'm so glad you're safe," I whispered softly. He cried into me as we hugged. "Hey Eren?" I asked as the realization dawned on me. "Hm?" He asked. "Did Mom and Dad..." He clutched me tighter and buried his face into my shoulder, giving me my answer. As much as I didn't like my parents, they were still my parents. Silent tears fell down my cheeks as I knew that I would never get to see them again, I never even told them that I loved them. Not once in my life had I ever said that I loved them. After a minute Mikasa and Armin joined our hug and I sat with them in the hallway all night. Telling them that everything would be ok. I'm not sure if I believed that myself, but I had to at least try to pretend like things could get better. 

When the morning came, I got up before any of them, hoping to leave without them noticing. It would be easier for all of us if we didn't have to say goodbye. I went to the stables and got my horse ready and was about to walk to the gate. "You're leaving without saying goodbye?" I slowly turned to face him. "I'm sorry, I just...Thought it would be better this way," I answered Eren. He ran up to me and hugged me tight, "I love you." I was shocked, he had never told me that before. I hugged him back just as tightly, "I love you too," I said quietly. I think we both needed to hear that. "Eren, listen to me. If you still want to join the scouts, then no more kid stuff. Life is hard, and it will break you down to your core. People die, your friends die, I'll die someday. But what matters is what you do when you're alive. Fight Eren. Don't stop fighting, because that's what it takes to live in this world." I pulled away from him and mounted my horse, giving him one last look before I road back to headquarters.

Time skip brought to you by Mar-(If you get it, I love you)

I got off my horse and entered the building. I guess the news got out that Shiganshina fell, because everyone gave me sad and pitiful looks as I walked into the dining hall for dinner. I sat down in my usual spot next to Levi, not hungry for much. Everyone at the table looked at me with sad eyes. "Stop, I don't need your pity," I told them firmly. They all looked away from me as I sat there in silence. Feeling the stares from everywhere in the room. I slammed my hands on the table and stood up. I walked to the door and slammed it shut behind me. I walked to my room and slammed the door. I sat on my bed and put my head in my hands pulling my hair tightly. I heard my door creak open and close lightly. I felt my bed dip next to me, I felt a hand on my wrist pulling it away from my head. "Were they alive?" Asked Levi quietly. My hands shook violently  as tears escaped my eyes. "My brother, he's the only one," I said. He pulled me into a hug and I leaned fully into him. He understood that all I needed was to not be alone. All I needed was to know that he was next to me.