To You, in 2000 Years

Y/N POV

We road our horses through the forest quickly, rain pouring down hard and fast. Our cloaks pulled tightly around us for some kind of warmth. "Moment of truth people! It's on us! Either we secure this ground as mankind's first stronghold beyond the walls, or we die!" Shadis yelled. "Target approaching!" Erwin yelled. "Split into five groups, now! Group one will act as the bait! All squadrons, engage omni-directional mobility gear!" We quickly jumped off our horses and flew into the trees. "Hit it from every angle!" Shadis ordered. "For my brothers! For humanity!" One of the scouts yelled before slicing the titan's nape. 

Timeskip brought to you by Grisha Yeager's horrible parenting skills

We somberly entered the gates of Shiganshina. The mission failed and we lost many soldiers. A frown etched on my face as I knew that Eren would be there to see us like this. We're his idols, and we failed horribly, the deaths on this mission meant nothing to the fate of humanity. They died in vain, we gained nothing from their sacrifices. I sat atop my horse next to Levi staring towards the ground, anything to not meet the disappointed faces and scowls of the people. I Saw some movement from the corner of my eye and met Eren's excited gaze. I closed my eyes and turned my head back down, we failed today, I don't deserve his praise. If I couldn't save my own comrades, how was I supposed to save humanity? That was when he saw the injured soldiers, covered in blood, for some, half of it wasn't theirs. "Moses? Moses? Beg your pardon. Where is my son? He should be with you all. Oh please tell me he made it!" An old woman said clutching to Shadis' cloak. "I wish I had better news. Give it to her," He tells the soldier standing next to him. He hands her the cloth and I look away as she unwraps it, already knowing what's inside. I hear her sobs as Shadis says, "I'm sorry. It's all that was left of him." She falls to her knees clutching her son's arm and crying. Shadis kneels in front of her as she asks, "He-He did good, yes? He was brave? Tell me my son stood his ground to the bitter end. That his death meant something! Tell me his sacrifice gave us a better chance!" I clutched the reigns tighter as my hands shook, already knowing the answer. "He was brave! But...His sacrifice meant nothing. So with all our losses. It's ever the same. The day was lost! We have nothing! Your son died because of me! I sent him to his death! I sent all of them to their deaths! And there's nothing to show for it! All of it amounts to nothing!" Shadis collected himself and we moved on. Back to headquarters, back to inform our fallen comrades families of their demise. 

Eren's POV

Mikasa and I got home after watching the scouts come back. So many of them died, and Y/N looked so guilty. I was pulled from my thought when Mikasa said, "So, um...Eren's thinking about joining the scouts." Mom dropped her dishes in the sink and looked horrified. I stared at Mikasa in betrayal, "Way to keep a secret, mouth!" "Get that ridiculous thought out of your head this instant, young man! No son of mine is going to be fodder! Do I make myself absolutely clear?!" Mom yelled holding my shoulders. "Stop yelling at me! I want to be with Y/N!" I yelled back. "Don't you dare-" she started before Dad cut her off. "It's a nightmare Eren. The Outside. You really have no idea." "Yeah, I get it, ok? But it's gotta be better than this life! I'm not stupid; I know it's ugly out there, I know there's death around every corner. But...we can't just give up on it. 'Cause otherwise this nightmare's never gonna end! Y/N knows that! That's why she joined! To give humanity a fighting chance!" I told them. I know Mom hates it when I bring up my sister, but I don't care, I want to be brave like her and go outside the walls. "I see. Excuse me. I'll be late for the ferry," Dad said as he stood up to leave. "Darling wait! Scold the boy, for heaven's sake!" Mom followed him to the door. "Scold him? Dear, please. Think this through. Mere words won't hold back the boy's curiosity. Eren. Behave while I'm gone and I'll let you in on what I've been doing in the cellar. Agreed?" He asked me holding up the key. "Yes sir, you got it!" I said as he walked out the door. "Have a good trip!" I yelled after him. "I meant what I said," Mom told me. "What?" I asked her. "The whole idea is just irresponsible," she said. I always got mad when she talked about Y/N like that. "Huh? Irresponsible? So, what? It's more grown up to settle for living in fear behind some stupid wall your whole pointless life?" I ran down the ally away from her, I don't care what she thinks about the scouts or Y/N. My sister has always known that we were living in a cage and wanted to escape. It's not fair when the world beyond the wall is supposed to be ours. 

Third Person POV

Titans had were pouring through the hole in wall Maria. The colossal titan had kicked a hole in the wall, then disappeared. Eren ran through the city trying to get to his house, hoping that his Mom was ok. He didn't want the last thing he said to her was that her life was pointless and that she was a coward. Even though his mother and him never got along well, he still loved her. They turned the corner to find her buried under their house with a giant boulder sitting on top. They rushed to pull her out as a titan walked slowly towards them. Before Eren knew it, Hannes was carrying him and Mikasa away from his mother. And all he could do, was watch as his mother was picked up and eaten by a titan. Wishing for nothing more than to be young again with his big sister to tuck him in at night. Telling him that everything would be ok when he woke up in the morning, and that it was all a horrible nightmare. 

"And just like that, everything changed. At that terrible moment, in our hearts, we knew. Home was a pen. Humanity, cattle."