Chapter 8: Law And Order

The forests of god knows what state had stretched out for miles and miles, with trees that could look over mountains with their height. There didn't seem to be any sign of civilisation nearby, only birds chirping and insects croaking as they move around in the bushes. It was a system that couldn't be disturbed, as it had been going on like clockwork for years; an undying forest in an undying country. 

Suzume, Max and Björn had been walking for what seemed like days through the endless trees and shrubbery, talking about themselves as to become more human to each other. It was becoming clearer and clearer to them that they would be together for a while, but they didn't mind that; they had enjoyed each other's company so far, and they hoped it would continue. They walked and walked tirelessly, listening and looking for any signs of openings in the forest, but to no avail; they would think they were walking in circles if they didn't know better. Hours went by with no progress, before they stopped to listen to a noise in the distance.

wail....

It was a familiar noise to Suzume and Max, who had grown up in big cities.

WAIL!

It was the sound of a police car, and it seemed to be approaching. The all flocked toward the noise savagely, desperate to find civilisation as to get out of the bittersweet nature of the peaceful, but endless woods that surrounded them. The siren got louder, and louder, and louder... before they found an opening.

A road laid on that opening. It seemed quite derelict, with many imperfections in the asphalt that made it. As the sirens grew closer, they began to speculate what it could be looking for. As they stayed in silence to ponder upon the wailing for a minute, they all looked at Max in fear as their minds synced up to the same conclusion. 

They were looking for Max, weren't they? They must've found the train he was on, maybe he was spotted? However way they found him (if they even did) he couldn't risk being caught, so he hid behind a bush while the other two ran out to the road, staring down the cop car as it pulled over and stopped the engine. Out of the cop car came two officers; one was a tall, well-built man, and the other was a shorter man wearing sunglasses. They approached the two strange people on the road cautiously.

"What are you two doing out here?" The tall policeman calmly asked, sounding understanding and caring.

"We're hitchhikers coming back from a camping trip. We just found this road and we've been waiting for a car to pass." Suzume answered, just as calmly as the policeman. It was impressive how convincing she was.

"Where are your tents then?" The smaller policeman enquired with a snarky tone.

"...in our bag?" Suzume answered, sounding confused as to why he didn't figure that out, and answering with the slightest hint of sass.

"Hm..." the short man answered.

The taller policeman approaches and pulls out a photo and presents it to the two 'hitchhikers'. It just so happened to be a picture of Max, who was still hiding in the shrubbery inches away from this scene taking place. 

"Have you seen this guy anywhere? We think he might've fled up here after a kidnapping." The policeman said.

Suzume, even while becoming slightly nervous, kept up her mask of calmness and kept speaking to the officers with confidence and assurance. "Nope. We haven't seen anyone around, except you two."

The policemen seem convinced by this facade she was leading, and nod in acceptance. "Very well miss, may you two have a good day." The first policeman walked back and got into the car, but the short policeman walked over and began speaking with suspicion.