Chapter 2: Pressure

Max Landry, a quite ordinary boy in an extraordinary world, seemed more tired than usual, despite being a complete teachers pet and always having energy even at the end of the school day. This strange turnout confused quite a few people, including his best friend Alan; it was no secret that Max didn't many play sport or go out with friends much, not to mention his teachers pet status only exists inside the classroom, so he didn't study much at home; what could possibly make him this tired? As the final bell rang throughout the school, many students packed as quick as possible so they could get home and begin their weekend; this group also included some teachers. Despite this massive movement of people excited for the weekend which Alan wanted to be a part of, he decided to stay for the half-asleep Max to pack up, which he took ages to do.

"Dude, what the hell is up with you today?" Alan asked, frustration seemingly intertwining with his concern of Max's current state.

"I'm fine, just a lot going on." Max replied, sounding as groggy and gravelly as someone who just woke up from a 4 hour sleep.

"A lot going on? I didn't know that was possible for you." Alan chuckled, poking fun at Max's relatively empty life, barring his house life and school life.

"Shut up, you can't talk either." Max snapped, seemingly unamused by Alan's unwelcome remark.

"Ok then, snowflake. Come on!" Alan chuckled, unaffected by Max's sudden snap back as he leaves the classroom with Max slowly trailing behind like a zombie.

"I'm sorry Alan, I'm just worried about my power manifesting... the rest of my family got it around my age, so what if it's something useless?" Max confessed as they walked down the school hall, seeming less zombified but more somber.

"Hey, it's ok Max. If your power isn't as good as your family members', they'll still support you. Don't worry about it." Alan affirmed sympathetically with a sweet undertone in his voice. Alan was an incredibly nice guy, along with being a stereotypical high school pretty boy, so he didn't struggle to be popular. Max probably wouldn't either, but he struggled profusely with socialising; if he had to start a conversation, he would probably burst into flame.

"Thanks Alan." Max says, perking up after Alan's words of affirmation. They bid farewell to each other before walking down separate ways to their homes. 

Max was grateful, especially today with his dysfunctional brain running off of an unhealthy lack of sleep, that he lived nearby his school in the suburbs of San Francisco. His parents were incredibly rich, with his mom utilising her power of luck to create a powerhouse stock market business. This led to her being a big name in the American economy, which only became bigger after marrying a Hollywood heartthrob who had won multiple awards for a highly commendable performance only a year before. They eventually had three children, with the youngest being Max. Max was easily the most recognisable child of the two, as he was literally a mix between them; he got his dad's look of black curly hair, tanned skin, auburn eyes, and tall, wide build, and he got his mothers hardworking, determined, but also caring and loving personality. While there was also an aspect of his mom's personality which consists of anger that could genuinely kill someone, Max was lucky to not inherit that... he thinks. Though it may just be genetics, he likely has his mom's personality because he spent all of his childhood with her, with his father being absent occasionally to film movies. All of that makes him, in his eyes, a "Nepo baby" which could help him get a job just in case his power doesn't help his career path.

Oh no, he thought, with the anxiety of his power coming back after Alan's words locked them away. It began to brew inside him, starting in his chest before spreading to everywhere else.

What if i don't get a good power? What if I don't get a power at all!? These worrying thoughts plagued him as the walk up his porch seemed to take hours... but eventually, he reached the door, and it opened into the sleek, modern mansion that his family bought with the money they had amassed.