Prologue

'Kiss me out of the bearded barley.'

Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer is the perfect wake-up song to get me energized and moving most mornings before work. It was a sure way to revive my body from slumber when all I wanted to do was tuck myself back under the covers with my small dog, Peanut.

Despite my strong urges to turn around and go home, my run had just started. I was determined to finish the mile without getting a stitch in my side or collapsing on the 'Home of Peanut' sign I laid out the other day in front of my house. 

Working out was not my forte, but It was a need I had to excel in if I didn't want my back to crack the noise of an earthquake every time I sat up. I spent much, if not most, of my time hunched over my desk drawing. While it was a blessing to work in something I enjoyed, the crick in my neck had other words to say about it. 

Hence, I curated my workout routine for even the sleepiest of souls.

I ran past my white mailbox and the pink flamingo I got in Florida one year. It was weathered and had definitely seen better days. 

Even so, I still loved it. 

The faded pinkness and puppy-dog eyes reminded me of Claire, my best friend. We were like two peas in a pod, and Claire was my rock, a bolder in my life I would never pickaxe. We brought each other stability.

Our first meeting was in high school. It was our Sophomore year at a cafe called Pillow. I was sitting at a brown table admiring all the artwork on the walls when I saw her. At the time, she was just a girl my year, I saw in passing. A friendly face I had never interacted with yet recognized when in front of me. 

Claire was admiring the pastries on display. Her eyes were drawn onto the glass with complete focus, with an intensity I had seen in none other than myself. She admired the desserts in the display case like I admired the art on the walls.

We became best friends because of this moment.

Now, my best friend and rock for life had found a new stream of stability. A river I hoped would never dry up because if anyone deserved happiness, it was her. Meeting John was an unexpected consequence of her baking. 

Claire loved to bake and was ecstatic when asked to cater the desserts for Zeon, the business John owned. John fell in love with Claire's pastries and then her. As described by Claire, their meeting was fate. She was like the Cinderella to his Prince Charming.

Her happily ever after.

Continuing my run back to my street, I hear a loud cranking noise and look to find an old grey moving van backing into the garage of the house in front of mine. 

This house, in particular, has been empty for the entirety of my stay, totaling about seven years. Shockingly enough, the house had cracks all over the walls, and its foundation looked beyond saving. I'm unsure how it passed the home code, let alone found a buyer.

Finishing my small run, I stopped at my mailbox and took out the letter I'd been anticipating all morning.

With their parents,

We invite you to celebrate Claire and John's wedding ceremony!

This Sunday / Formal attire / At sunset.