Burnt Cake and Heart Ache

╔════════════╗

╔════════════╗

CHAPTER ONE;

Burnt Cake and Heart Ache

╚════════════╝

SIX MONTHS AFTER THE ACCIDENT

The kitchen buzzed with activity as Aurora attempted to turn her culinary calamity into a masterpiece. She stood amid a cloud of flour, armed with determination and a recipe she hoped would bring a touch of sweetness to her otherwise bitter days.

Ezra had adored baking, and although Aurora was an exceptional cook, the art of baking had eluded her. In the aftermath of his accident, she found solace in the rhythmic motions of measuring, mixing, and whisking. It was one of the only things that allowed her to feel as though he was still close to her.

As the mixer whirred to life, Aurora's focus wavered for a moment. In her mind's eye, she could see Ezra's infectious grin as he measured ingredients with precision. The mixer, however, had a mind of its own. Suddenly, it began to spin faster, sending a cloud of flour into the air.

"Fuck!"

Panicking, Aurora lunged to control the unruly appliance. In her haste, the mixer slipped from her grasp, and she accidentally knocked a carton of eggs off the counter. Time seemed to slow as the eggs tumbled, crashing onto the floor, creating a gooey, chaotic mess.

"Goose! Maverick! No!" Aurora yelled, seeing the opportunistic dogs making a beeline for the fallen eggs. Flour-covered and desperate, she maneuvered between the dogs and the potential disaster on the floor.

With each step, Goose and Maverick became partners in her unintentional ballet of chaos, tracking flour pawprints across the kitchen. Aurora, now adorned in a floury ensemble herself, felt a blend of frustration and amusement.

"Okay, guys, that's enough!" she scolded, attempting to shoo the mischievous pair away. Goose wagged his tail with enthusiasm, while Maverick managed to snatch an egg before retreating.

As Aurora surveyed the kitchen, a sigh escaped her lips. The failed attempt at baking mirrored her life – a mess, a mixture of joy and sorrow, of memories and uncertainties. She caught sight of herself in the reflection of a flour-covered surface, an accidental canvas of her current emotional state.

But amidst the chaos, a small smile tugged at Aurora's lips. It wasn't about the perfect cake or the flawless kitchen. It was about the process, the attempt to find healing in the ordinary. As she cleaned up the mess, she couldn't help but feel a connection to Ezra, a shared love that transcended his absence.

The floor became a refuge for Aurora, where laughter and tears collided like a tempest within her. Amidst the remnants of her baking fiasco, she sprawled on the cool tiles, feeling the absurdity and beauty of the moment. Goose and Maverick, sensing her emotional turmoil, circled around her, offering companionship.