Chapter Fifteen: Heart of Ash and Ember

Bella nudged her cast under her chin, holding her head up as Jacob and Seth snorted like pigs in laughter. Their eyes were glued onto the television screen, only looking away to take a sip of water or look at eachother.

Bella sighed and glanced down at Renesmee, her head in Bella's lap, and her legs spreaded on the couch. Renesmee took in small breaths, and Bella could feel whenever she exhaled. Her brown eyes were also looking at the television, but every once in awhile she would start playing with Bella's fingers and turn her head slightly to smile at her mother. Bella always smiled back. Bella's fingers ran through Renesmee's bronze curls, the curls recoiling as her fingers reached the tips.

The anger that Bella was feeling had thankfully diminished. She had decided she would confront Edward about how she knew where he was and demand him not to lie anymore. Then, in the end, He would apologize and wrap her in his strong embrace.

Bella's eye diverted from Renesmee to Jacob and Seth. Jacob was slapping his knee in hysterics while Seth was glaring at Jacob, threatening him playfully. Bella rolled her eyes and dazed off, thinking of the prom dress Alice bought her. She had probably hid it her closet. If Bella could just walk away, she could find it.

Jacob cut off her train of thought by standing up, his facial expression tense. Renesmee lifted her head up and sniffed the air and then looked at Jacob and Seth, her lips in a small frown.

"Do you smell-" Seth asked, but Jacob interrupted.

"Vampires," Jacob breathed out.

"How many?" Seth wondered out loud.

Jacob inhaled once more, his nose wrinkled in disgust. "Four or Five."

Bella's insides churned as Renesmee squeezed her mother's hand for support. Renesmee could tell something was wrong.

"There's something else I smell, but i can't fathom-"

"Gasoline," Renesmee said. "I smell gasoline."

Bella's eyes widened and she brought Renesmee to her feet, then stood up herself. "Get Renesmee out of the house," Bella said through her clenched teeth.

"Bella-" Jacob started.

"I said get her out of the house!" Bella said. "I'll be right behind you!"

Jacob picked up Renesmee in his tan arms and then ran out of the door with Seth straight behind him. Bella pushed open the door but froze, seeing red eyes glare at her in her peripheral vision. Bella closed the door behind her and rushed down the stairs.

Flames arose in front of her, blocking her way out. She could feel the fire taunting her and the heat of the flames on her body. Bella stood on her tippy toes, trying to see through the smoke, for another way out of the house. Bella cursed, seeing the whole house had flames taller than Bella all around the house. There was no way out of the ring of fire.

"Momma!" Renesmee screamed, trying to remove herself from Jacob's grip. The little girl squirmed in Jacob's arms, but gave up when Jacob pulled her back and whispered something in her ear.

"We'll get you out Bella!" Seth called. "Go to the top floor, just in case the flames spread to the bottom floor!" Bella nodded in acknowledgment and rushed into the house, the door slamming behind her. Bella raced up the stairs, only tripping once. The smoke from the fire had some how traveled inside, making Bella's eyes water and her throat scratchy.

Bella coughed and looked down the stairs. The flames crawled up the steps of the house, the stairs turning a dark brown. The flames crawled around, closer to the building, slowly burning what the Cullens' worked so hard to build. Gray smoke slowly glided into the house from the windows, intoxicating Bella's lungs. Bella pushed herself forward, and was about to enter the bathroom when she heard something bizarre.