Chapter Thirteen: Bittersweet

Bella rolled over in her sleep and pushed the covers off her sore legs. Her head was throbbing and all she wanted to do was keep sleeping. Even though the effects of the sleeping pills had worn off, she was determined to remain asleep. The sun peeked through the hospital room window, casting itself onto Bella's legs. Bella let out a sigh of relief as the sun hit her cuts and bruises. A huge bang echoed through her room, making Bella throw her head up too quickly.

    The nurse sent an apologetic smile at Bella and picked up what she had dropped.

    "Sorry to wake you Miss Swan."

    Bella pushed herself upwards and clutched her broken hand close to her stomach. She then yawned and shrugged. "It's alright, I've been awake for a bit," Bella lied. Bella rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and looked at her side, just to see crumpled sheets. Bella frowned at the disappearance of Edward.

    The nurse placed the metal tray beside Bella and Bella's eye wandered, trying to see what was on the tray. There was fresh gauze, scissors,  and a wet cloth.

    "It's time to change your bandages, Miss Swan." Bella nodded and pushed the  thin covers to the end of the hospital bed.

    The nurse lifted up her hideous hospital gown and looked at her thighs. Blood had barely seeped through the bandages. Bella gripped onto the bed sheets as the nurse slowly unwrapped her legs, leaving her legs bare and vulnerable. The woman gently rubbed the tender skin with the cold cloth, removing the dry blood. The woman then placed gauze on certain sections of her Bella's legs.

    Bella wiggled her toes, avoiding the nurse's gaze as the woman changed the bandage on her stomach. Bella peeked down and regretted it immediately. The bandage was covered in crimson blood. Pain shot through Bella's stomach as the woman wiped her stomach. The woman mumbled an apology and put a fresh bandage on it. Bella flinched as the woman sat up, bumping her wrist that was bitten. The woman disposed of the dirty bandages and walked towards the door.

    "Dr.Cullen will be here shortly," the nurse said. Bella nodded and the nurse walked out of the room. A familiar face peeked into the doorway and Bella tilted her head, a small smile appearing on her face.

    Edward walked in holding a white tray in his stiff hands. The muscles in his hands tightened, making him gripping the tray. He hated seeing Bella in pain.

    "I was wondering where you wandered off to," Bella stated. Edward chuckled and sat himself on the uncomfortable hospital bed.

    "How are you feeling?" He asked. Edward balanced the tray on one hand and stroked Bella's cheek with his thumb. Bella leaned her face into the palm of his hand. Edward smiled at Bella as she removed her hand from his frigid hand.

    "I'm sore," Bella admitted, "But I will get through it. Then there's the fact I have to deal with this thing," Bella nodded at her cast. Edward exhaled an  unneeded breath, that sounded like a small laugh.

    Bella glanced at the tray. There was a glass of water and a small amount of scrambled eggs.

    "Carlisle says he wants you to eat before he comes and checks up on you," Edward explained. Bella looked at the food and wrinkled her nose. The thought of food made her want to vomit. "I know you don't want to eat, but you should Bella. It will give you strength and help you heal faster."

    Bella pushed her knotty hair back into a ponytail as Edward placed the tray on her legs. Bella winced, her cuts and bruises on her thigh stinging. Guilt clouded Edward's expression. Bella shoved the pain away as best as she could and picked up the fork with her non-broken hand, scooping the eggs onto it. Bella forced the food in her mouth, the cheese on the eggs melting against her tongue.