6. Roses are pink

The clanking of the swords was mellow as he continued watching his fellow soldiers practice their skill with the weapon. Occasionally, he instructed them, sometimes even scolding them if they were using unethical tactics to attack the opponent, he went around the arena in circles. He even helped people correct the postures as his gaze swept across the circular enclosure flaunting a floor with sand while bamboo logs formed the boundary. His preferred sword was also in his hand, which he used to demonstrate the particular ways in which it could be skillfully utilized to defeat the enemy. The finesse with which he swished the weapon attracted a lot of appreciation from his colleagues.

He allowed an amiable smile on his face as he retreated to a lonely corner, watching everyone with his brows furrowed in concentration. That was when he inhaled the sweetest fragrance he had ever known. The rosy aroma wafted from outside the arena, and he could tell another smile was developing on his face. He could recognize it from miles away. He swerved at his spot, peering at the way the girl was progressing towards him, swaying her hips a bit too much, tucking the stray strands of hair behind her ears. The serpent-shaped branding shimmered on her wrists, and the alluring smile radiated an ethereal glow on her face.

He murmured words of praise for the girl as soon as she was within earshot.

She turned a deeper shade of scarlet, shaking her head and giggling at whatever he was articulating.

Everything steadily began dissolving from in front of his vision, and except for the kohl under her eyes, he couldn't see anything else.

Rudra's eyes flew open, and he steadily sat up straighter, hauling the duvet off him. No, it was not a nightmare he just witnessed. Thankfully. It was just a sweet dream where the man—the warrior—was busy gazing at the serpent-tattooed woman. The contentment, composure, and tranquility he had been feeling since the previous evening was still ruling his heart, and he was certain something or someone at the party brought that effect on him. Perhaps it was the sweet girl who seemed too intimate to him. Or probably it was the intoxicating fragrance of roses at the party that calmed him. But it didn't matter, for he was feeling serene and invigorated after a long time. Ready he was to attend his classes for the day and then take Shravani on the best date ever.

***

Ishita refused to get out of her bed despite her morning alarm ringing incessantly. The conversation she had overheard at the culmination of her birthday party hurt her a bit too much, and she wasn't even sure why she had been crying through the night despite her day having been exceptionally amazing. Either it was because Rudra had asked the new girl on a date or it was because he called her 'annoying'. She was displeased, for despite his insouciance towards her, she had been nothing but amiable towards him, and then too, she was the one whom he found annoying.

But whatever the reason was, she had surely spent the entire night weeping, hot tears cascading down her cheeks, which she refused to wipe. However, when her alarm rang in the morning, she was in no mood to slide out of the comfort of her bed and go to college. She didn't even bother to turn the alarm off, keeping her eyes shut without making any movement since she was too uninterested to undertake a chore as simple as that.

Rishika heard the alarm ring continually for the last fifteen minutes, and she was highly surprised. Ishita was an early riser, jumping out of bed as soon as the alarm rang. Hence, the mother was confused by the behavior the girl was exhibiting and rushed straight inside the well-decorated room. The pink blanket covered the girl from head to toe, and she could hear the soft sniffles over the blaring of the alarm.

Rishika sat on the bed next to the lying form of Ishita. She was turned towards the other side, and Rishika could only the back of her head. Patting the girl's hair, she said, "Are you not feeling well, Ishita? Why are you not getting up, and why are you crying?"